Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It's APPALLING that they're feeding that stuff to the children in the first place and truly horrendous that they're trying to dissuade you from making better choices for your own child. I'd go to the waaaay top. I'd send a letter to the First Lady and cc the accrediting agency of the preschool. No school should be serving that "food," and no school should be penalized when a parent wants to send in a healthier alternative. I would think that with all the work the First Lady is trying to do to combat childhood obesity she would be very interested in a top rated preschool serving junk and being penalized in its ratings when a parent protests.

In our neck of the woods that preschool would be out of business very quickly. Our preschool gets flak for serving fruit juice three times a week (many of the parents opt out and choose water, which they are absolutely allowed to do) and giving the kids occasional ice pops in the summer for extra hydration.

I sorry the school is interfering with your better choices. Preschool is really too young for the school to be undermining the parents' choices. It's bad at any age, but it's really unconscionable in preschool.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow! All the schools my kids have attended actually serve better stuff than I do at home sometimes! I'm the Mom that sneaks oreo cookies or chips into lunches sometimes and I would be appalled at that. What state do you live in? I know our state has a special initiative to improve nutrition in preschools and daycare centers that places can sign up for.

Both of the preschools/daycare my kids went to had sign up for parents to bring in a fresh health snack for the kids each day. It helped add daily fresh fruit and veggies to the class. The schools would provide the longing keeping snacks, but they were healthier than pop tarts. I understand that trying to balance out the cost of providing daycare on a budget is rough for many child care places, I don't see many people getting rich on it. Plus I realize that it is hard to get fresh stuff for an entire school everyday. Do you think they would be open to that suggestions?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster80 View Post
    Apparently this is the real issue- they are a top rated school in the state and last year lost points because dd1 was given special treatment because she brought her own snack... If they would just serve healthy snacks in the first place I wouldn't have to make her have special treatment.
    Where is that mouth-dropping-open smiley? Pop Tarts and Little Debbie get "points" at all??
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

!!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Wow, I can get ease, but those are awful choices.

While at the same preschool my youngest has a different teacher. My older two had parent rotating schedule but we knew the day. Most were good about cheese, fruit, veggies. New teacher asks for parent volunteers but it is stored at school, so lots of goldfish, dried fruit, cereal.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You have to get a doctor's note to bring a healthy snack yet the little debbies passed their standards? Now I've heard everything. I agree with PP - Michelle Obama needs to hear about this!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would freak over pop tarts. I am not even sure I know what little debbies is?? Is it like the twinkies of our childhood?

I am with you. I def. allow treats, special muffin breakfasts at the coffee store on weekends etc but it is not an every day type of thing.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    I would freak over pop tarts. I am not even sure I know what little debbies is?? Is it like the twinkies of our childhood?

I am with you. I def. allow treats, special muffin breakfasts at the coffee store on weekends etc but it is not an every day type of thing.
    Little Debbie's is similar to Hostess. Pastries and sweets. Pure junk.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wouldnt those packages of cheese crackers w/pb or that cheeze spread be just as cheap? I cant believe they cant find anything better than little debbie snacks!!!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That is so crazy OP. If our preschool did this, I am certain my kids would not even touch the healthy snacks I sent from home when they see all this sugary junk available. I hope you can get the school to move to better snacks.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast