Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Very early pregnancy spotting and swimming?

I just found out I'm pregnant, still very very early.....4-5 weeks. I'm having a small amount of spotting frequently (like, it's barely any on a liner, but there's dark red, brown, or bright red most times when I wipe....but occasionally it's a little heavier and it's still never heavy enough to fill a liner, but there's definitely a noticeable amount on the liner) There's a pool party I have to go to today w/ DD that it would be really hard to cancel on. She will want to be in the water, and needs me in the water with her. Can I wear a tampon if I'm pregnant or is that a big no-no? I'm worried about not wearing a liner -- I don't want anything to get in the water or be noticeable if I get out of the water. Other options of what I can do? (Also....I know it's so early it's just a "what will be will be" in terms of the pregnancy, but I'm totally upset about the spotting....I did spot a lot with DD, but it wasn't until later in the pregnancy. Anyone spot this early in the pregnancy and have it work out?)
    Lizi

That's a tough one and I don't have any idea about using a tampon, although my gut says it would be fine.

I did have spotting with all three of my pregnancies. I have two children. The first one ended in miscarriage very early on. The other two were completely normal healthy pregnancies that went past term. So I'm a success story, but there's just no way to know. Best wishes and try not to worry.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Personally I wouldn't insert anything like a tampon that might irritate you. I'd probably wear a black swim bottom and hope for the best or send DH if that's an option.

Best of luck!!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think a tampon would be a problem.

Also, I have super heavy periods and when I have to go in the water during that time I wear a tampon AND a panty liner. The panty liner has always stayed on my bathing suit just fine and I always felt better that I wouldn't have any leaks if my tampon overflowed. So I think you are fine if you just want to wear your liner in the water. It won't come off!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no advice but wanted to say congratulations! I hope all works out well for you.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had spotting at 4 weeks that I thought was my period. I used a tampon. Then two weeks later I had such a massive bleed, I thought I miscarried. Clothes were ruined. I felt a gush, etc. Well DD2 is sitting next to me right now, eating her shoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.....party went fine yesterday and we had fun. I went and just wore a liner in my swimsuit (thanks Latia!). I did have some spotting but I was already out of the water with a towel wrapped around me so it worked out. Unfortunately today I've felt terrible most of the day with painful back and cramping, and bleeding all day, so I'm not feeling so great now. I'll call the OB in the morning and hope I can be seen. I'm not really feeling positive, but it's hardest just not knowing for sure what's going on right now.
    Lizi

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad the liner worked out, but I'm so sorry you're still bleeding and in pain. I hope you can get seen soon and find out what's going on. (((HUGS)))
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)