niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Advice for evaluation, possible dyslexia - not for me

A work friend of DH is struggling with their 2nd grader DD. She has had some evaluation and been getting services through the school and privately - not sure all the details. One person involved with her case, has suggested she may have dyslexia. The family is not sure what to do now.

I'm not sure if she's had full private evaluation, I think it's all been done through the school. Where should they start to find someone? I suggested asking their ped. and other parents. I'm not working yet, so don't know any local names. I understand someone has suggested dyslexia, but don't know if she's been evaluated for that diagnosis.

I know programs like Barton, Orton-Gillingham, Lindamood Bell have been suggested for children who have dyslexia. Any advice on how they could research what their DD needs. While they wait for more evaluation, they want to start on something they think could help.

Thanks.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a DD with dyslexia, and the first thing I would suggest is a full evaluation by a neuropsychologist. I think the easiest way to get names is to find a school for kids with learning disabilities and contact them. They should be able to provide them with a name for the evaluation. In my area, this type of schools provide tutoring for kids who have been diagnosed with a learning disability, but attend a regular school. They could also do a web search for tutors who are trained in Orton-Gillingham based programs (Barton, Wilson, etc...).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    I have a DD with dyslexia, and the first thing I would suggest is a full evaluation by a neuropsychologist. I think the easiest way to get names is to find a school for kids with learning disabilities and contact them. They should be able to provide them with a name for the evaluation. In my area, this type of schools provide tutoring for kids who have been diagnosed with a learning disability, but attend a regular school. They could also do a web search for tutors who are trained in Orton-Gillingham based programs (Barton, Wilson, etc...).

100% get a neuropsych eval. DS1 has dyslexia and is doing Orton Gillingham.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would also say get a neuropsych exam. In addition, I would suggest an OT evaluation - because many kids with dyslexia have dyspraxia (coordination probs) and dysgraphia (handwriting). A vision eval by a developmental optometrist (COVD designation after the name) is also a good idea because they check for visual processing problems, not just acuity.

Susan Barton's web site is very good for a parent to start reading. http://www.dys-add.com/
    I also like the U of Michigan's site: http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/

I would also advise the parent to contact the Decoding Dyslexia group in their state, for help with advocacy, support and understanding state laws: http://www.decodingdyslexia.net/dd-states.html The Decoding Dylsexia group should also be able to recommend a good psychologist to get the evaluation.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thank you all. I'll pass this info on. I know DH's work colleague will really appreciate it.