Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
DS has an autism diagnosis (Aspergers) and we found ABA therapy to be very helpful. He was 9yo when we did ABA. We would have started a year earlier but it was a long wait for services. I don't know what age is the earliest you can start. DS can also be very reactive and explosive and the goal we were working on was to have him do homework without yelling, storming off or throwing things. I was amazed that we actually were able to accomplish the goal and make homework not a dreaded process. We then used those strategies and applied them to doing chores around the house.
I recently re-applied for services through the Department of Developmental Disabilities and am hoping that now that things have gotten so much worse that we will qualify and maybe we can get ABA therapy.

I have a question about ABA therapy though because I thought that it was intended to help with children having trouble communicating because they were non-verbal. He is very verbal, just very reactive, explosive, and he can be violent.