Default Little Worried About 5 Yr. Old

So I have a strange one....Ds turned 5 in July. He's always been on the very small side and is very active and eats a nice variety of foods. He loves fruits and veggies.

Last night he told Dh that his chest (right side around his nipple) hurt. Dh didn't see anything and told him he was probably fine. When Ds woke up this morning, he told us his chest still hurt. Neither of us noticed anything, so we went about our day. Ds and I are having a lazy day at home and he is currently playing in his undies (his favorite "uniform"!) When he walked over to me, I noticed that his right nipple is red and somewhat swollen (not huge or anything). He says he hasn't been rubbing it, which I tend to believe because he's been in the living room with me playing with all his little action figures.

Why would it hurt and be red and swollen? Should I call the doctor?

Ok, now I'm freaked out because when I asked him if I could touch it, it very obviously has a little lump. What is this?
    Last edited by Indianamom2; 09-10-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: More info
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I have no clue. I would call the ped and get it checked out. My DS is the exact same age (5 in July) and he's tiny too, 41" and 39 lbs. He also ears well and is very active and full of energy.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Maybe something bit or stung him?

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was thinking maybe a bug bite or a boil/pimple? It's probably nothing serious but do get it checked out if it doesn't go away by tomorrow, or can you call an advice nurse? That is what I would do in this situation.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Did something happen at school? It sounds like he might have just bumped it.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How is it now, OP?
    K

Well, when I called the advice nurse, they said that the doctor would definitely want to see him. We saw one of the other doctors in our practice and he could definitely tell it was red, swollen and could feel a lump. He was sort of stumped and suggested that it is either caused by some sort of injury and would go away on its own or it could be some form of infection, in which case, it will become more tender, the redness will spread and he will likely run a fever. So basically, we wait and see over the next couple of days.

Scary though, to feel a lump on your child!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

glad you went in. PT for you all!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07