Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You know I was a sight reader too . . . my phonics and phonemic awareness are not great either. IIRC I learned sight reading and then sort of worked backward to intuit some phonics rules. My spelling is fine but not stellar I think as a result. Nicci, that would be awesome to be dual trained -- you should take a look at Overcoming Dyslexia (rec'd by inmypjs) it is really a book about how everyone learns to read and it makes a lot of interesting research-based points, including that dyslexia runs on a continuum and the point at which we say someone is dyslexic is just a social decision and that since dyslexia impacts very specific brain regions that are part of the normal course of learning to read. So the reading instructions methods (which are PA heavy) aren't for "dyslexics only" they are best practices for everyone. Also I am checking out that book series you rec'd that is very helpful.

Egoldberg, that is reassuring, hopefully that will happen. He is quite sad over the whole thing bringing up the word "stupid" a lot, saying he doesn't have a good memory (DS's memory is the freakish level for oral material and his memory is decent for words but I can see that it is comparatively harder for the written symbols to lodge in his memory). His classroom teacher seems to be getting frustrated and raised her voice to him over his confusion with a worksheet. And she told him "I talked to your mommy and your mommy expects you to finish writing a whole story in writer's workshop." DS told me about it and was upset and said he was worried I would be angry with him. I told him she lied to motivate him and I would never be angry about his schoolwork, I know what a hard worker he is (and he is!). At our IEP meeting tomorrow, one of the things we are going to cover is a classroom plan where the teacher 1) chunks his writing/reading work into somewhat smaller segments; 2) offers stickers or incentives esp for smaller chunks (like a page of writing which takes him forever as opposed to whole story) and he gets special rewards at home when he gets to x number of stickers; 3) giving him some opportunities for science/history research projects and oral presentations, even ones we work on at home, as those are areas of strength and right now he is spending all day except for math doing things that are a struggle for him. I don't hold out much hope of reforming her mindset but I think if she only has X number of interactions with him per day and she has to implement this per his IEP then it will basically not leave her as much time/space for negativity!!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    You know I was a sight reader too . . . my phonics and phonemic awareness are not great either. IIRC I learned sight reading and then sort of worked backward to intuit some phonics rules.
    IMHO I think we expect kids to be reading more at younger age. My older sister said I was reading before she was and mum spent a lot of time with her on her reading. I don't remember this at all. My sister is now a professor of education at a well known college, her later start in reading didn't seem to hinder her or be a stigma for her to overcome. Today we rush too much, so kids that need more time feel that they're stupid. I'm not saying we shouldn't help, just that I wish there was less pressure on the kids so they put less pressure on themselves.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just read your update. Holy cow. First of all, GREAT JOB getting a 1:1 OG program! That is incredible, amazing, rare. That sounds like quite a battle, though I can't say I am surprised. I just officially started doing parent advocacy and consultation, and seriously, I cannot convince parents that they need to prepare for this. They just don't believe it. They don't think their school or local or state education agency would ever violate the law and would ever do anything wrong. They don't realize their school's 'evaluations' are academic screenings and nothing more. I work hard to convince people to write letters (not angry ones, just very firm ones), to tape record meetings, etc. Believing that they NEED to do these things requires a huge leap that they often just aren't ready to make - until they get screwed. I just helped a friend whose special ed evaluation had at least 5 major procedural violations, that I, as a lay person who has educated herself via Wrightslaw and (shock) actually reading the law, found easily. In closing, all I can say is GOOD FOR YOU!!! You clearly did an amazing job advocating!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wowzers!!! I am so impressed with your advocacy and totally aghast and disgusted at their misbehavior. I hope your son makes wonderful progress! However, since they (all of them) have shown their true colors, I would most certainly have some contingency plans for future schooling. Your school may very well not be the best environment for your DS to thrive and advance academically since he has some very unique characteristics, but I am sure you are aware of this as well!

to you, SSTE.
    K

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Good job! I am so happy for you and your ds!

I just wanted to say that my experience was very similar to yours, except that I did not have the legal background to get as many positive results as you did. I know that laws were blatantly broken many, many times especially last year.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow you go girl. I need to hire you. Nice work mama.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Good job! I am so happy for you and your ds!

I just wanted to say that my experience was very similar to yours, except that I did not have the legal background to get as many positive results as you did. I know that laws were blatantly broken many, many times especially last year.

We had the same experience. I ended up having to pay to put my child in private school to get her the help she needed.

JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Oh yes. I have heard of many meetings that went as yours did. Unfortunately most parents don't know enough to be able to fight all the BS that gets thrown their way. (I don't, but I try). You must have been awesome in there!

Yay!! I knew you could do this.

I agree that most parents aren't aware of legal requirements of IDEA etc, and at no fault of their own, it's complicated legislation. I actually know a parent, who was a family law attorney that now specializes in special education law due to their experiences with their son. Most parents don't have your knowledge or skills regarding legal issues to force the school into action. Your son is lucky to have you. Hopefully, future dealings won't be as difficult, as they know you know the law and won't try anything again.

This is something I'm worried about if I end up working in school. With my legal background, I may know/understand more about IDEA than typical and I could be in similar situation where school wants to do x and I know it's violation of IDEA, so won't do it. The SLP I'm interning with has worked in a few different school districts and she refuses to work in some due to how difficult they are in giving services; her current district is very giving.
    Last edited by niccig; 10-16-2014 at 12:09 AM.

I wonder if the school's turn around over the weekend came about because they left the meeting with you, spoke with lawyers from the school district, who responded like this to all the breaches of IDEA , and told the school to do whatever it takes to appease you as they are screwed if you take this further.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast