Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

I want to add my admiration for the OP's update. My nephew has autistic-related issues, and my brother ended up using an attorney to get the program his som needed.
    Makes me consider getting a law degree once I retire .....
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! It is a mixed bag really because I had to blow so much political capital (and conflict capital) just to get the evaluation for LD forget eligibility and services. But be aware the standard for evaluation is a very low "reasonable suspicion" of a disability. That is any suspicion that is not wild or completely without basis. In our case, I have a child with a developmental history, a familial history, an IEP already in place for speech and OT, who was recently flagged as a below grade level and underperforming reader. And they were saying there were not grounds for evaluation. They would have lost at due process and that is not a forum that anyone would say is pro-parent/child. Nicci I think you are right that the special ed supervisor talked to her boss or to legal.

It is sad because I love my area and my school but I have since found out our district is notoriously bad about special ed. I have talked to dozens of people in the past few weeks to get the skinny. My advice is to talk to every 1) special education advocate and 2)neuropsychologist that you can and ask them which school districts are "good" on special ed. They spend ALOT of time running around the area to different districts' IEP meetings. Our neuropsych was very clear and told me at least four times during our recent meeting, "You should move to X place." In that location I wouldn't even need an evaluation by the school, they accept hers, the school team is enthusiastic and excited to give services. In my district, it is crazy-bad apparently! Unfortunately this has become the equivalent of a part-time job and I am seriously thinking about moving if we are not in a good place by the end of the academic year with this.
    Last edited by sste; 10-16-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Good for you for being a strong advocate for your son. I totally agree with your advice to get school recommendations from the professionals who work with your child. We did this in the state we previously lived in for DD2, and the district provided services above and beyond what she needed.

SSTE, if you continue to be unhappy at your current district, I would also recommend looking at private schools for kids with LDs. DD1 attends one, and it has been fantastic. Every teacher is trained in the Wilson method and the strides the kids make in reading are unbelievable. Most kids with mild LDs attend for 2-3 year and then move on.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5