Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been mulling for the last hour and first, I'm sorry for being sarcastic with you. Truthfully, I'd be relieved if the map book were part of a planned curriculum. This is why I need to meet with the teacher -- she may well have a plan.

And I realize that I sound hyper suspicious at this point. I mentioned upthread, that's a direct response to my own mistakes last year. We had a similar situation then, with small "off" things (no homework, no tests, no corrected work sent home). I made excuses and thought of reasons not to make a fuss. I asked nicely how dd was doing and if I'd see her work. I asked for a meeting. I was shut down every time and by the end of the year was furious with myself and the school because nothing ever got better and now it was too late. I'm trying not to let that happen this year. Part of the reason I keep posting here is to get that reality check -- if what I am seeing is common and normal, then I need to chill and move on.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I've been mulling for the last hour and first, I'm sorry for being sarcastic with you. Truthfully, I'd be relieved if the map book were part of a planned curriculum. This is why I need to meet with the teacher -- she may well have a plan.

And I realize that I sound hyper suspicious at this point. I mentioned upthread, that's a direct response to my own mistakes last year. We had a similar situation then, with small "off" things (no homework, no tests, no corrected work sent home). I made excuses and thought of reasons not to make a fuss. I asked nicely how dd was doing and if I'd see her work. I asked for a meeting. I was shut down every time and by the end of the year was furious with myself and the school because nothing ever got better and now it was too late. I'm trying not to let that happen this year. Part of the reason I keep posting here is to get that reality check -- if what I am seeing is common and normal, then I need to chill and move on.
    I agree with Green Tea about Me on a Map. I know it was included in my Houghton Mifflin middle of first grade curriculum when I was homeschooling. I do see how it could lend itself to higher level projects. BUT, I think you are right to trust your instincts. The big red flag for me is not lack of SS or science curriculum. It is the fact that your DD seems to have so much free time. That is just not typical at all.

Like many have said upthread, if you know of some classes that are strong at your 3rd grade in your school I would ask to move your DD. This happens often where I live. I confess I am also concerned that you have three "bad" years at your school and that this is known! This is not the case in the public schools that my kids have attended. In fact, one of the schools has ONE bad grade and some of my friends have sought charter schools and magnet schools as a result. I have two friends that homeschooled 4th grade because the teachers are so bad. But all the other years are actually quite strong. It just sounds like this school is not a good fit for your family! I guess the upside is that all the bad grades are pretty much in the past (except for the current year and maybe you can find a fix with a new teacher?). So perhaps it is worth sticking with. But this isn't the sentiment that I'm very familiar and I'm here in CA where the school budgets are teeny tiny.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP, I've been thinking of you and hope you'll get some satisfactory answers at your meeting with the teacher. If you live in the SD I think you do, the schools sound like they're in constant turmoil (if the local news can be believed): yet another potential redistributing, recruiters from another state holding a job fair in an effort to poach teachers, possibly switching some schools between traditional and year-round calendars regardless of parent preference. At least the bus system hasn't made the news as much as last year.

If I'm wrong about your SD, I'm still hoping you'll find some reasonable options (but if I'm right, you have my sympathy).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3