View Poll Results: Have you gotten strep from your young child?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 39.22%
  • No

31 60.78%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My dd2 has had strep at least ten times and I have never caught it. The last time I had strep was in college.
    Green Tea, mom to three

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids have never had strep. I had a few times as a kid and my parents never got it from me. The last time I had it was in college and I got it from my roommate because we shared close quarters.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The first time I got it, dd1 was 6 months old and still breastfeeding. I got it from her daycare, but DD1 never got it. I had never had it before and I was really knocked out from it. Could barely drive home from work.

DH has also gotten it from the kids.

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yes - twice
    Mom to 3 boys

I think that is a crazy statement. My family of 5 had 9 cases of strep between May and July this year, plus one false alarm. Everyone got it twice except DS, who was 6 years old and the first case, then DD2, then DH, then me, then DD1.... then DD2, DD3 a few weeks later.. then DH and me a montht later. We spent about $550 out of pocket on strep this summer.

This is the first time my kids have ever had strep, and my oldest is 12. I haven't had it since I was in elementary school. In fact, I never hear parens in my area talk about strep so it's something I never thought about until it showed up in my house.

SOmetimes doctors are just wrong. When DD1 had her first ear infection, I knew nothing about them and remember the pediatrician saying adults rarely get them. But DH is quite prone to them, as is a co-worker, so I think that doctor's statement was way too general.
    Last edited by american_mama; 09-27-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I got it once from DS2, but he has had it 8+ times (thankfully rarely now that his adenoids are out!). It was awful.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3