Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Girl dog names

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Girl dog names

We are picking up our new puppy next weekend. I really wanted a boy, but looks like we are getting a girl. there was only 1 boy and someone else is taking him.

So I need girl names! I'm not a HUGE fan of names that end with an "-a" or "-ie". I'm not opposed though either. I just see alot of names like that that Idont like at all.

The dog is either a black or chocolate lab, but I dont want to name it after its color. Something goofy is good. But doesnt have to be.

Here are some names we have toyed around with so far. I like Irish sounding names! But doesnt have to be either. If it was a boy I was going to name him Seamus.

Cleo
    Chloe
    Fiona
    Penny
    Stella
    Piper (my neighbor has a dog named Pippa though)
    Charlie
    Gretchen (my DD hates this, but I like it)
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Daisy
    Ditto
    Eliza
    Wrigley
    Dixie

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a chocolate girl named Coconut, and we call her Coco sometimes but most of the time Coconut. That's not Irish though but lots of people have said that they like it (she has a big block head, so looks like a coconut in a tree). My favorite ever dog before I had my own was a black female lab that my friend had named Bear. This dog was great and I have always loved this name.

One of my best friends in college has a family tradition (her parents and siblings do this) - they are Scottish, so every dog they ever have had (and my friend has always had 3 dogs, and she has been a friend for 25 years, so I can recall a ton of dogs that were just hers) are named after Scottish villages. They find the names on maps. Currently, she has one this is pronouced "McKair" but the spelling is different... I can't recall how it is spelled but it is spelled differently. One named Bretton. She had a Kaylie and a one named Lair. If you like Irish names, you may look at some village names in Ireland?

We had a Daisy and Lily. Made picking out my wedding bouquet very easy, but for our next dog, I actually wrote down some of the great names in the "help name my kitten" thread and I will use one of those I think.

We have a Zoey. She came with her name, but I love it. It's a good fit for the sweetest dog ever.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

An old neighbor has a chocolate lab named Mole (like the sauce). Our dogs have nature/flower names.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Thanks. I like the ideas to look at Irish town names!

our dog that just passed was a black lab with a big blocky head. His name was Baloo and I loved that his personality matched his namesake Baloo the bear from the Jungle Book. I would be into considering another movie character name for this dog, but I can't think of a good animal name from a movie.

I can't wait to bring our new edition home. I really miss having a dog, even though we've only been without Baloo for a few weeks I just want to know which puppy is ours! I hate not having chosen yet. We will hopefully go visit the pups and choose on Sunday and pick up the pup the following Saturday. I feel like I have been waiting forever!

DH likes Fiona so far.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My daughter did a drama camp this summer and was in Jungle Book -- now you have given me a great idea, we may name our next lab Baloo! thank you for that!!
    We have a 13 year oldyellow lab and a 3 year old chocolate. I know we are on borrowed time for our 13 year old, but having just lost a human parent (grandparent for my DD), I really am praying that God lets us keep our yellowlab another year as my DD will really be distraught. But we will get another dog fast, I know it. I just need to have animals with me.

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    My daughter did a drama camp this summer and was in Jungle Book -- now you have given me a great idea, we may name our next lab Baloo! thank you for that!!
    We have a 13 year oldyellow lab and a 3 year old chocolate. I know we are on borrowed time for our 13 year old, but having just lost a human parent (grandparent for my DD), I really am praying that God lets us keep our yellowlab another year as my DD will really be distraught. But we will get another dog fast, I know it. I just need to have animals with me.
    Your welcome. Baloo was the perfect name for our boy.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have a favorite place or activity? Friends have a dog named Addie which is short for Adirondacks. They love the outdoors and campus and canoe so her name was in honor of that family activity.

Our neighbor's dog is Piper and they both (husband and wife) play the bagpipes.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I grew up with a chocolate lab named Penny- best dog ever! . We are bringing home a yellow lab puppy next month- probably a girl, and I'm stumped for names too. 30 years later i still think Penny is a great dog name, lol. I like Fiona, but it's our neighbor's dog's name. Not a big fan of Gretchen. I also like Piper.
    If we got a chocolate lab my DDs wanted to name her Cookie.
    If you like Irish names, there are lots of good ones-
    Riley
    Kelly
    Bridget
    Molly
    Maeve
    Kate/Katie

I do like Fiona though. Good luck with your puppy! I can't wait for mine to come home!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast