Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never actually been called to serve on a jury Summoned and questioned, yes. But never picked.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've been called 4 times but got excused due to small children and no child care. When I was working my employer would not have paid me somim not sure how that works with financial hardship
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

It was 2 or 3 days from reporting to the courthouse, being in a jury pool, going through selection, and starting the trial. The defendant pled out mid-trial on my birthday so I got the afternoon off and now-DH took me out to dinner.

I was in the very large jury pool for the Pink Poodle Murder (sounds like a risque Nancy Drew) which might have taken months but my employer would not pay the entire time so I was dismissed automatically for financial hardship. There was a very long questionnaire involved in the initial selection process that I did complete.

eta FIL was a County Sherriff, they eventually just gave him a permanent exemption.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Never. I've always wanted to. I'm an attorney now (health policy, not litigation) so I expect it will ever happen.
    I don't know what state you're in, but not necessarily. It's not an automatic bar in my state. One of my co-workers was on a civil jury a few years ago, and we had a deputy atty general (state, not federal) who did civil/administrative law on our grand jury panel when I was doing screening and grand jury presentations about 9 years ago. So maybe there's still hope!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

^^ Yes, I know three who have served this year alone.

OP, I have never served but longest service by DH and his coworkers has been 2 weeks. Most have been less than a week.

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The one time I served on a jury (in NYC) we had an attorney and a paralegal among the jurors...as well as a doctor (who was our foreman) and a soap opera actor (Guiding Light).

The entire process took five days. The first I was voir dired once, but not selected. The second day I was chosen to serve on a drug case. Days three and four we listened to testimony, and day five we came back to deliberate. Ended in a hung jury (which I predicted that morning when they took our lunch order and 11 people ordered turkey sandwiches and one ordered ham).

The second time I was called for jury duty in NYC, the entire jury pool was called in to a room where we were told they were looking for jurors to serve on a lengthy trial involving organized crime. We were told that if we wouldn't be available for three months, we could get up and leave. Most of us left. I returned to the courthouse for a second day, and was dismissed before lunch time.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Jury duty- longest you've served

I served for 5 days I think. I got called in the last hour possible on my last day, which was a short week (Thanksgiving) and then served the following week.

The other two times I was released, once because the trial ended in a settlement, and the second time because I was due in court the same week for a work matter.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I served on a shaken baby manslaughter case that lasted several weeks, but it wasn't everyday. Often times we'd break for the day early or not reconvene for a couple days. It was awful.

Gah my summons is for this week. I dread it since I'm still pumping. Luckily they have a mother's room but still a pain.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

None. I never even made it to voir dire. They filled the spots before they got to me. Once I got called in to be questions for a case that was the death of a child. Luckily for that one I was in a wedding, and would not be able to commit for the whole time, so I went back to the pool.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast