Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Plz help us/me dress up for fall portraits.

We are doing portraits of our family in a park in first week of November. We live in midatlantic, so it's possible it could be snowing then. We are a family of 4 and I am the official photographer of the home and we have several good pictures of kids and kids and dh. But no good pics of me. I am turning 35 very soon, so it will be like a portrait session for the family but also focussing on getting great shots of me.

I want to have some great pictures of me but not really sure what to wear, where to start? Any ideas? My arms are jiggly and fat so that is definitely not my plus point which I want to show off. I am 5.5 and 140 lbs. any ideas to help me get started?

Anyone help me?

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think you should think about what you feel best in and go from there. I personally like jeans, boots, sweater, scarf look for myself. I have some seen some great "casual" family portraits but I know some families like a more formal look.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pick an outfit you like or a look you like and go from there. We are having family photos done in about 2 weeks. My girls are wearing matching (different styles but same print) dresses from Tea, DS is wearing jeans and a navy/white strip pullover from gymboree, DH is wearing jeans and some type of navy, red, or grey sweater with a button down underneath, and I'm wearing skinny jeans, brown boots, and not sure what on top. Look on pinterest for ideas but if the focus is going to be you maybe go to Nordstrom and have the shopper there find you an outfit to start with?
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hijack- nfowife, what dresses are your girls wearing? I'm working on family picture outfits, too, and having a heck of a time.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Witmom, dd1is wearing the bubble bottom drop waist style and dd2 is wearing the crossover style dress. They are both wearing denimish navy leggings or I might do light gray leggings. Not sure. The dresses are hummingbird print: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...3d31bb9dd8.jpg
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Unless you just really want something formal, I'd go dressy casual but avoid dresses or skirts. I can see wearing dresses for Easter photos, but I think fall photos can be more relaxed and comfortable. I agree that you should choose your outfit first. That's what I do. Then choose what to put the rest of the family in based on that. Stick with limited colors (e.g. all creams, browns, and red or navy, teal, and grey or navy, grey, and orange). It usually works well to have the adults in outfits that are solid and darker with the kids in clothing that has patterns and spots of brighter color.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This site has a ton of examples, scroll down http://www.picturesbymom.com/photogr...-pictures.html

I am thinking of this look...

http://www.momgenerations.com/2013/0...chic-for-moms/

Though I am not sure how I will look in that look as my legs are not that thin and shapely. I have always loved that look and wanted it, but never had, so my turning 35 I need to make it.

I have never owned a skinny jeans before so if you can recommend good skinny jeans brands which are not expensive, and good brown riding boots it will be nice.

I own a pair of brown bear paws which are warm and cozy but I would love brown leather boots. Look the look of brown leather riding boots

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At 5'5' 140, I can't imagine that your legs wouldn't look good in skinny jeans. . Don't be hard on yourself. I have several pairs from an assortment of brands. Jeans are very person unique so I'd hit a few stores and try them on. I have a pair I like from the Gap and someone just recommended the Jag Nora pull on ones (Amazon).

If you have the budget, Frye boots will do you right.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast