Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Update - See photo - Is a tetanus booster needed?

Does DC need another tetanus shot?
    DC is 3.5yo and was running down our driveway and tripped. DC's hands fell onto the very rusty chain of our driveway gate. Both of DC's palms looked red right afterward, but there are only a couple of scrapes on one palm. I washed DC's hands immediately, dried them, and sprayed on some Bactine. There are no deep cuts, little to no blood (I can't quite remember if there might have been a tiny amount of blood since I washed them so quickly), no lacerations, no punctures. Just a couple of minor scrapes. One of the scrapes created a tiny flap of skin that is redder underneath. This happened one hour ago, and one of DC's palms (the one with the scrapes) still looks a bit red. DC is not in discomfort. DC is up to date with all vaccinations which includes four (out of five) Dtap vaccinations. The final DTap of the series is due at age 5yo. I called the nurse who honestly wasn't that helpful and has left me unsure what to do. So do I need to bring DC in for another tetanus shot? Thanks.
    Last edited by mackmama; 09-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No he is UTD It has to be a deep puncture just scraping on rust is not a justified reason for a DTaP shot.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

What is UTD?

Up To Date sorry

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No you are good. He should be fine as he is UTD on his vaccinations.

Former Vaccine Coordinator for a clinic of 18 doctors here

He's up-to-date (next DTaP due between 4-6 years old, generally done at the 4 or 5yr Well Child Check), the exposure risk was tiny, if at all. I personally wouldn't do it because of the up-to-date status and tiny exposure risk, and I'm one who is freaky about keeping up to date with my vaccines and DD's vaccines.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I just found some more scrapes above DC's foot - these are larger. I have no idea if these were from the rusty chain or if this was from the ground. I was of course looking down when this happened. So please look at pic - Does everyone still agree no additional vaccine is needed? I've never attached a pic so hope it works. Attachment 3736

No wash with soap and water little triple antibiotic ointment if you want. It is not a deep puncture or required stitches. He is not due for another year you are fine its just a scrape. If you show up to the urgent care they will look at you like you have 2 heads.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, at least in Illinois, if you do the booster before the kid's 4th birthday, even if it's a week before, you will need to get another booster before kinder. This just happened to a friend of mine.

You are good. He will be absolutely fine and you can all relax. Normal childhood injury that will heal beautifully!!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast