Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MomNov1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I'm looking forward to my appointment. I'm currently on Celexa since they told me it works more for anxiety vs depression, but I certainly would not mind switching to Zoloft for my pregnancy especially since I will be breastfeeding and that's #1 choice for breastfeeding. Does anyone have any experience switching from one SSRI to another? Lots of side effects or pretty easy transition? Thank you for your help!
    I am glad you have an appointment to talk to your health care provider about this, it is a good first step ...I take an ssri for depression, and have for many years. When pregnant with ds1 I was told to switch to zoloft as well, the adjustment was not easy for me (but is for others). With my second I chose, under the approval of my doc to stay with my regular ssri, and it worked much better. I am not saying this to concern you, but to encourage you to work closely with your doctor and advocate for your health too along with your unborn babies (since they go hand in hand when you are pregnant).
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

Thanks so much for your reply Blue. I kept calling my new OBGYN's office every day this past week hoping to get in sooner and was able to get in this morning. Since we are trying TTC, I wanted to wean off Celexa and switch to Zoloft sooner than later. After I talked to him about my bad PPD and PPA (finally treated it after 3 years), he advised me not to switch to Zoloft and to stay with Celexa. He explained since I have been on Celexa for only 10 months instead of a few years, its not safe switching. I guess Paxil is not good (according to him), so if that was my current medication he would take the risk and switch to Zoloft, due to Paxil's side effects during pregnancy. Also, if I was on Celexa for years and was doing very well with no occasional anxiety, then he would switch me to Zoloft. But since its less than a year and not that much difference in medication, the risk is greater in switching at this point. Clonazepam has to go, but that should be pretty easy since I weaned from 3mg/day to 0.50mg for sleep only. I just ordered Natural Calm and if that does not work, I know Melatonin will do it.

So, THANK YOU so much for your reply since you mentioned you stayed with your regular SSRI with pregnancy #2. I printed out different articles and studies before my appointment and he confirmed Zoloft is #1 choice for pregnancy but its not that much different from Celexa. So instead of going up and down with two different SSRIs and hoping Zoloft will work, just stay with Celexa. I'm so grateful for your input ladies!!!! I love this board (my wallet does not like it), even though I do not post very often. I delayed pregnancy #2 due to anxiety and depression, and now I'm looking forward to expanding our family. Thanks again for replying to my post!
    DD 11/10
    New arrival Spring 2015

Zoloft all three times from 20 weeks on and Prozac in the middle of the first pregnancy then a switch to Zoloft. Without my meds I would have probably been hospitalized in the first and third pregnancies I was that bad. I wouldn't hesitate to take them again to be honest probably starting at 12 weeks if I were to do it again which I am not. I've read that an anxious mom in pregnancy is not good for the baby and I would weigh that against the risks of the meds.
    Jen

Emily 5/19/05
    Katie 8/14/07
    Chase 10/31/12

Thanks Emily! I was so worried about SSRIs and starting medication last year, but ended up in our local ER asking for Xanax or whatever they were willing to give me (ended up with Celexa and Clonazepam). I feel like this has been one loooong journey and am not going back. It will not be good for me (I will not be able to function), my 4 year old DD, hubby and our unborn child. So grateful for your reply!
    DD 11/10
    New arrival Spring 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2