Question Bunk bed mattress recs?

We've purchased an IKEA NORDDAL bunk bed and I need to order mattresses for it. At the time of purchase we were not able to fit the IKEA foam mattresses in the vehicle along with the bunk boxes, so I resigned myself to ordering something later, and "later" is now.

Anyone have a bunk bed mattress recommendation? I will need to order online. And I'm fairly certain that IKEA claims I cannot use more than 5.5 inch mattress in the top bunk, although I have no issues going with a 6-inch if that's what is non-IKEA standard, which I believe will limit my choices to foam. Not sure if anything thicker would be still be safe with the top bunk guard rail.

Thanks!
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We bought this one and are VERY happy with it! Got ours about 3 years ago and it's held up great. We actually have it on the top bunk of an ikea bed. Much nice than ikea thin mattresses, but alot heavier so a little difficult to change sheets up top, but very well fitting on edges. SAMs club actually sells the exact same one online (great reviews) but I went with amazon. They are the same price but SAMs club had a blue cover and amazon one was tan. Came rolled up in perfect condition. I highly recommend if you are looking for foam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006C7...&pi=SY200_QL40

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    We bought this one and are VERY happy with it! Got ours about 3 years ago and it's held up great...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006C7...&pi=SY200_QL40
    Thank you! I've been looking at the blue covered Night Therapy one of these online at Sam's Club, I'm not sure how the prices compare vs Amazon, I'll have to check it out.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wish I'd looked more at Amazon! I paid $20 more for IKEA Malfors and it doesn't look near that nice.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought this one and it's great! http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the amazon Night Therapy option, but I wonder, should I get two of the same mattress, or do people get something thicker for the bottom bunk? 2-year-old DD will be sleeping on the bottom bunk when we move her out of the crib, so she doesn't need anything more supportive.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My opinion is that you DEFINITELY don't need something thicker on the bottom..... too thick and adults sitting under there may hit their head! With a thinner mattress you'll just have more room underneath - - i don't think comfort or support is compromised at all. How about ordering one at a time and see how you like it? That way your not stuck WITH TWO if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    My opinion is that you DEFINITELY don't need something thicker on the bottom..... too thick and adults sitting under there may hit their head! With a thinner mattress you'll just have more room underneath - - i don't think comfort or support is compromised at all. How about ordering one at a time and see how you like it? That way your not stuck WITH TWO if you don't.
    Thank you for this. Buying one at time could be a possibility if we weren't trying to make this transition a REALLY BIG DEAL for both kids. DD is moving into DS's room to leave the nursery for Baby3, so to make room sharing more palatable for DS (and the only way we can make room sharing work in our small house), is to get bunk beds. DS will get the top bunk, and DD will get her big girl bed on the bottom bunk. We're hoping the combination of bunk beds will soften change to the room sharing for DS, and that DD will be excited to sleep in big girl bed, especially when she gets to share a room with her beloved big brother.

None of this may work to get the kids on board, of course, but we're hopeful. Anyway, that's a really long story to explain why need both mattresses at the same time.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15