gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone else hungry?? Low- cal snack food suggestions?

I started a diet 3 weeks ago. I'm walking for an hour every day (or at least, I really try to) and I've reduced my daily calorie intake to 1800 calories. I've done this diet 3 other times and I've lost quite a bit of weight at the rate of about a pound per week. But even with the relatively high calorie intake, I'm still hungry a lot. I allow myself 300 calories for breakfast, 600 for lunch, 300 for afternoon snack and 600 for dinner. but ugh, the munchies come on right after the kids go to bed.

Anyone have any low- calorie food suggestions that wont blow my diet plan out of the water? Ive been doing great and have lost about 4 pounds. But the late night munchies are hard to get through. suggestions???
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

To pass the munchies- Almonds
    Gum (I buy Spry w Xylitol)
    Brush your teeth
    Milk

I usually skip breakfast bc I'm
    just not hungry then. I'd rather have calories to use if I'm hungry later in the day.

I often snack on popcorn. A cup of herbal tea is also pretty filling and totally non-caloric. I think if you're hungry, though, you might want to look at the quality of your calories. Make sure you're getting enough fats and protein. Nuts and/or cheese are a great snack earlier in the day or a good addition to salads or other lower calorie foods. They'll fill you right up!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This happened to me too when I tried to cut back a few months ago. I mostly drank hot tea or sipped on water after the kids went to bed. If my stomach was really growling I snacked on raw veggies, an apple, or air popped popcorn. After a week or two I realized I wasn't as hungry at night and was happy with just tea.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When I was hard core trying to lose weight I did 5 meals at even # of calories (and maybe had a little extra for dinner). So
    300 breakfast
    300 snack
    300 lunch
    300 snack
    500 dinner

Or something like that. I'd eat:
    Cottage cheese and fruit
    Greek yogurt and fruit
    almonds or cashews with veg
    Cheese with veg (carrots for example)
    Almond butter and a banana
    Salad with chicken or tuna can

You could move the second snack to the evening if you aren't as hungry earlier. I found eating more often but smaller calories helped me a lot.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Raw almonds fill me up, and I like them because I don't have to eat a fixed amount. Last night, I was unexpectedly starving as I was headed up to bed, so I ate three almonds. I know that sounds ridiculous, like I'm a bird, but it worked well enough! I also measure if I'm going to have a full serving, which is 1/4 cup.

I sometimes have some peanut butter, but it has to be a small amount since that's very caloric. It fills me up enough, though, even if I have less than a tablespoon.

I'm a big protein eater, so I make sure I get at 100-150g/day. I have to have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. I usually don't get hungry after dinner, but I usually eat at 7:30 and head to bed at 9:30 or 10. I like protein because it tends to be low-cal but filling. It's not of much use if you want something munchy/crunchy, though! I don't remember what I did in the beginning (I'm almost at the 2-year mark). My eating now is way different than it was then, so I don't seek out munchy foods very often. When I'm hungry, I just want to make the hunger stop. (Whoa. I've never put that into words. I can't believe that I have that mindset.)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

These are all great suggestions- thanks! I agree with the protein filling me up the best. Most of my meals and snacks are high in protein. Like for breakfast I eat peanut butter on a piece of whole wheat toast and hot herbal tea. It usually keeps me filled up til lunchtime. I can usually stave the hunger off until the kids are in bed. Then I'm tired, I've used up my calorie allotment for the day and my resistance is low. It's not every night, just usually the nights I have stuff I have to get done for the next day. So that is where the need for a crunchy, low-cal snack comes in. These are great suggestions. Thanks again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Rice cake with a smear of PB or laughing cow cheese
    celery with cream cheese or laughing cow cheese
    apple slices with pb or cheddar (get the precut kids packs...these are more like a sm apple or 1/2 an apple)

I feel like if I have a bit of protein along with my crunchiness then I feel satiated on less quantity and my crunchy item doesn't have to be as flavorful on its own.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

There is some great kettle corn 100 calorie bags that I always use as my late night snack. Feels like I'm eating a lot but it's not bad for me and fills me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Big bowl of raw kale with lemon juice and sea salt is one I like.

When I want something in the evening but am not really hungry, I default to tea. It feels like a nice ritual.

Cucumber and smoked salmon

Smoked salmon and capers

Celery and small amount of nut butter or laughing cow wedge

HB egg (dip in mustard or hot sauce to make it more interesting)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010