Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try. I've never used mine before is it pretty self explanatory or do I need to take time to read the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    I just made it last night. I think it took an hour, maybe a few minutes more.

I had to do the beef in 4 batches, so that part alone took about 20 minutes. While it was browning, I got the other things ready (minced garlic and ginger, and measured the brown sugar, water, and soy sauce). Once I turned on the cooker to pressure heating, it took about 10 minutes to come to temp and start the countdown. I did 22 minutes, because we did 19 last time and the meat was too tough for my kids. Then it took a couple of minutes to release the pressure, and seconds for the cornstarch to thicken the sauce. I didn't add the green onions.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oops, sorry, just getting back to this! I read parts of the manual just to know how to put the different pieces together (I think there were two loose pieces), and what I needed to wash before use. The first time I used it, I didn't realize I had to turn the knob on the top to make sure it wasn't open. You have to do that each time; it doesn't reset on its own.

How did it turn out?

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am totally 100% in love with the way the Instant Pot cooks chicken. For nights when we are in a huge rush, I've been taking 1 lb of chicken breast tenders and one of the Campbell's Skillet sauces (we LOVE the thai curry chicken) put the pot on 8 minutes high pressure, boil some rice and dinner is literally cooked and served in 15 minutes. Sure beats the drive through!

ETA: I also put in 1 T of oil as instructed on the Skillet sauce packet.
    Last edited by Binkandabee; 02-18-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

^^ Thanks for that! We've been making more complicated chicken dishes in the IP, but I've been hoping to find easier/quicker recipes.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've used the skillet sauces on the stove top before and they taste SO much better in the IP both in terms of tenderness and flavor. Wasn't sure it would work but I decided to give it a try one day and it worked fabulously! 1lb of chicken should have about 1/4 cup of liquid in the IP and the skillet sauces are just about right for that.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

I made corned beef and cabbage in my IP yesterday for St. Patrick's Day, and it turned out awesome!!

I rinsed the beef, cut off the top layer of fat, added 1.5 c of water, corned beef, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and pickling spices to the IP. I used the "meat" setting.

When it was done, I threw in potato, cabbage, and carrots and used the manual mode for 15 minutes.

YUM!!!
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfeet View Post
    I made corned beef and cabbage in my IP yesterday for St. Patrick's Day, and it turned out awesome!!

I rinsed the beef, cut off the top layer of fat, added 1.5 c of water, corned beef, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and pickling spices to the IP. I used the "meat" setting.

When it was done, I threw in potato, cabbage, and carrots and used the manual mode for 15 minutes.

YUM!!!
    awesome thanks for posting!!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    I am totally 100% in love with the way the Instant Pot cooks chicken. For nights when we are in a huge rush, I've been taking 1 lb of chicken breast tenders and one of the Campbell's Skillet sauces (we LOVE the thai curry chicken) put the pot on 8 minutes high pressure, boil some rice and dinner is literally cooked and served in 15 minutes. Sure beats the drive through!

ETA: I also put in 1 T of oil as instructed on the Skillet sauce packet.
    I finally found this sauce in a grocery store near here. I've been looking for a while! I tried it tonight and thought it was really good! My older son also liked it, but my younger son claims he didn't. It's a keeper, and SO EASY!! Thanks!!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I made this for the first time this weekend and it turned out great! I think it is more sweet than it needs to be and I would recommend using boneless chicken breasts or thighs. The flavor was great and the kids told me it's a keeper recipe. Oh and it's not that spicy.

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/...essure-cooker/
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A few successful recipes I've tried recently:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/12/p...nd-hominy.html
    If you want to save time you can just cut the pork into a few pieces. It falls apart once it's cooked so it doesn't really need to be in smaller chunks.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/l...cken-stew.html
    Don't be shy with the salt on this one. It has so few ingredients that the seasoning really matters.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/rec...eef-short-ribs
    This was not super memorable, but everybody cleaned their plates. I consider that a success.

And a makeshift meal that was a surprising hit: I mixed about 3 TB of Penzey's taco seasoning with about a cup of water, then poured it over two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cooked for about 9 minutes, then shredded. Served it with corn tortillas and taco toppings (lime wedges, cilantro, diced onion). My dc loved it. Next time I'll use chicken thighs, but that's just because I prefer dark meat in general.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5