Thread: carrior recos

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default carrior recos

i used a ring sling and then ergo with DS

a same sling and then gemini with DD

my sister is asking for advice for what to consider - she's expecting her first. she's about 5'7" and thin with a large chest - obviously not thin at the moment, but assuming a similar body type post baby - what should she consider? she will be using a carrier a fair-amount as they are rarely in their car - it's all carrier and/or stroller on a daily basis.

i loved my ring sling, but it took a fair amount of getting used to. i tried to like the moby, but it was just too much fabric.

appreciate ideas. thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

I know a lot of people love ring slings and mobys, but they just are not for me. I used the ergo with the infant insert until he was ready for it without. It felt very secure and very comfortable for both me and DS.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I loved the Pikkolo from newborn up. Like the Ergo, it's a soft structured carrier, but doesn't need any extra accoutrements to work for infants. I used it from about 4 weeks-10 months, and then switched to the Ergo. My husband used a ring sling, but I never got used to it.

for Sandy Hook

Default carrior recos

I love my tula (kind of like the ergo). I liked the baby k'tan for the first two months. It's kind of like a Moby but way less fabric and easy to use.

I also had a pikkolo, which was good when the baby was small. But the tula is more comfortable once the baby got heavier.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Baby k'tan could work well. The Gemini is good for newborns. Beco soleil is another to look at.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used a cybex 2 go from infancy through 2 with my kids. It has lots of different holds so it is great.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, guys!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Lillebaby complete is really nice. Maybe the All Seasons one since she would be doing a lot of carrying in different types of weather? If does not require an infant insert. I think the Boba 4g does not need an insert either and is supposed to have some really nice features.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I preferred a wrap to the Ergo-with-insert when DD was ittybitty - I'm about your sister's height and had a lot of fluff post-partum, especially in the chest.

Honestly, I really felt like the Ergo insert made my tall baby feel awkwardly placed in the carrier, so I preferred a woven wrap (I have an EllaRoo, but if I have another baby, I'm looking at Dolcino and Storchenweige) until she fit in the carrier without the insert, which was at about 5 months old.

My biggest recommendation is to try a few carriers if possible - in your gear thread, I linked the Facebook page for the Carry On Babywearers and Caribou Baby. Both Carry On and Caribou do babywearing consultations, so your sister can learn how to use different carriers ... and they should have a weighted doll that can give her a sense of how a carrier might feel with a baby in it.

Good luck!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

My favorite hands down was the k'tan. It lived in my car and I put DD in it every time we went somewhere because we didn't have a baby bucket. I never used the sash though, just the two main loops of the carrier. It does stretch with use, so get a size that's pretty fitted.