Default expecting twins.... question!

My husband and I are expecting twins in April. We already have a 3 year old, and although we're very excited I'm super overwhelmed about having to handle 2 babies and a 3 yr old at the same time! A coworker suggested to me that I invest in a twin carrier so that I can carry both twins and have my hands free to deal with my daughter. I was looking online at some models, but a lot of them don't seem overly practical to me, and are pretty pricey. I was wondering if any of you have used a twin carrier, and if it was worth the money, and also which model would you recommend?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One of my friends with twins would occasionally wear both of her kids in two Ergo carriers. One on front, one on back. I think she found a youtube video or similar to describe how to best layer the straps. It wasn't ideal but got her through the moments where both really needed mama time at the same time. She and her husband each wore an Ergo with a twin for outings together so it was helpful to have two anyway.

Congratulations! I did not have an older child, but the twin carriers did not appeal to me at all. I'm not sure how well you'd be able to deal with a three year old weighed down by two wiggly babies. A swing and a bouncy chair at home, and a stroller while out and about seem more practical to me.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I regularly used an Ergo to hold one and then I carried the other. Indeed, I got through two airports like that, by myself, with a two year old. The Ergo was amazing.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I personally don't think it's practical. You need one good baby carrier for sure (like an Ergo or similar). I was able to wear one on the front, shifted to one side, and carry the other on my opposite hip (also in front). When they got older, I'd carry one on my back in the carrier and carry the other in front. Ran many errands that way. Grocery stores - one on my back and the other in the cart seat.

I also really liked a wrap for when they were really little (I used SleepyWrap but there are tons of similar offerings).

At home, agree with above to rely on bouncy chairs and other safe places to put a baby down - you honestly just get used to someone crying all the time and you get really good at triage-ing baby needs

When out and about with an older child I do think you'd be better off with a double stroller. If you needed to, you could carry a baby on your back and put the older child and other baby in the stroller and that way everyone is contained (I recommend the Baby Jogger City Mini Double GT - the seats recline nearly flat for infants and the seats are big enough for a 5yo, and size/weight-wise it's not a monster).

There's no way I could safely chase after a 3yo with two babies strapped to me.

eta: both DH and I each had an Ergo-like carrier so we could do outings without a stroller - but we don't have an older child. I think stroller is your best bet because you will also be hauling diaper bag, snacks for the preschooler, etc.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 11-13-2014 at 04:06 PM.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When my twins were born I had a 2 year old and 4 year old. I also can't imagine the twin carriers working well, especially not past the 4-6 week mark. The best scenario was a double stroller and a regular carrier. My 4 year old mainly walked. 2 year old switched in and out of the stroller and I could pop a baby in and out of the carrier as necessary. I could also carry one baby on my hip when the other was in the carrier. When the twins were old enough to carry on my back, that was the best because I really could have my hands free without the baby restricting me in the front. My 2 year old was quite easy-going and independent so she ditched the stroller quite young and then I was even able to go out with just a carrier and a single stroller.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

I had a 2 year old when my twins were born. I ALWAYS had an ergo on...ALWAYS! I carried one baby in the ergo and the other in my arms. When we went out the toddler went in the double stroller with one of the babies and the other baby went in the ergo. We did have two egos so my husband and I could both use them when we were out together. I tried to carry two in egos at the same time and found it very uncomfortable. However I have a friend who successfully carried her twins at the same time using one of the long, woven wrap style carriers. I wouldn't give up on the idea completely without trying first. As a PP said look on YouTube for videos to guide you. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.... when my coworker mentioned the idea of a twin carrier to me I had a hard time conceptualizing how exactly I would strap two little ones to me and still be comfortable! But, she had twins and said that it was a saving grace to her, so I guess it can work. But, I do have a single carrier from when my daughter was younger - I believe it's a snugli. Honestly I didn't like it much when she was little because it was complicated to put together and she never seemed to like being in it. I'm thinking maybe of getting a single ergo since I've heard good things about them - I have a double stroller already and 2 swings/bouncy seats, so I think I'll be fine at home. I'm more concerned with how to handle infant twins and a 3 year old if I have to go out at all (I know... probably won't be going out much, but sometimes a quick run to the store is necessary!)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One of my college friends did some modeling for a company that sells twin carriers. The website is TwinGoCarrier.com.
    i dont know much about them but she does a facebook post about their twin carrier every few weeks.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I can picture wrapping them both maybe when they are super little but the twin carriers always looked impractical to me. Definitely look at getting a quality and comfortable carrier to replace the snugli. Ergo, Beco, Tula.

Congratulations on your twins! If you look back there are some threads with recommendations and advice. My twins are eight and TBH I have a hard time remembering some of the things that saved my sanity!