Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I should clarify that my residential treatment experiences were with kids that were previously in full-day (as opposed to pull-out for shorter periods) ED classrooms/programs. And that sadly enough to get sent to an inpatient placement you are generally a safety hazard to others, less commonly in my experience and with an under 14 age group, to yourself. So what I am envisioning when you say ED classroom is a room where kids are in there full-day (not mainstreamed or not significantly mainstreamed) and that is what makes me think safety issues and disruption issues. Because schools respond to disruption more energetically than to depression for example!

I guess I do not understand the distinction between a "functional" skill and a "normal" one? Is that you are able to do X but in the former you can do it with whatever manner, affect, mannerisms etc so long as X gets done? Or something different? It does sound to me like a difference that the staff would need alot of training in and a willingness to embrace, I agree.

Is moving an option for you? Of course, observe first! But it always nice to know when other options are on the table.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Where are the other children in his current class going next year?
    DS's class includes students in grades 3-5; so most of DS's classmates will stay right where they are. Generally speaking, the majority of the students in DS's classroom go into the middle school's Community Based Program. I observed this program recently and it is not a good fit for DS. Although it has the structure and supports he needs, it is not have the academics he needs. The students all take the alternate assessments (to the State mandated tests) and are not on a track to receive a regular diploma. DH and I have fought to keep DS on the regular diploma track and will continue to fight for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    I guess I do not understand the distinction between a "functional" skill and a "normal" one? Is that you are able to do X but in the former you can do it with whatever manner, affect, mannerisms etc so long as X gets done? Or something different? It does sound to me like a difference that the staff would need alot of training in and a willingness to embrace, I agree.

Is moving an option for you? Of course, observe first! But it always nice to know when other options are on the table.
    In the context of autism, "normalizing" means to make a child with autism indistinguishable from typical peers. In other words, it is an attempt to rid the child of his/her autistic traits and behaviors ("extinction" is a common term). Teaching functional skills means teaching a child how to deal with his/her environment - coping skills; this takes into account that individuals with autism may have different social, communication, and sensory needs than typical individuals.

Moving is not an option for us.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can he be pulled out of the community based program for certain academic periods to be spent in the ED room? Or vice versa? Can the ED program afford an aide for him with experience with kids with autism -- I know that is a tough sell in a small ratio classroom but perhaps their numbers will break down in a way that an aide might be cost effective as opposed to adding another spec ed staff person. Or can the district pay for one of the ED staff to receive some training in autism?

Mostly I am wondering if you need a "two room" solution with some combination of community based and ED.

I can see why letting go of the diploma track is not an option. Based on your further explanation and my admittedly dated and limited experiences in mental health, I do have some concerns. There can be a BIG emphasis in ED programs of the type I think you are describing on "appropriate" behavior. The word appropriate comes up all.the.time in my again limited/dated experience. The drive is toward "normal"/"cure" with a little tempering--that for example an anxious individual will hit a normal/functional range but realistically not become dead average on anxiety level or a zen master.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would ask them directly about whether they emphasize functional skills vs. normalizing. Our experience has been that they focus on functional, but that is in the non-full-time environment.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are there any private schools for autism or special needs in your area that would be a better fit for him?
    K

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Just before winter break, I had the chance to observe the ED program and meet one of the teachers there (the other teacher was out with a sick child at home).

I didn't know what to expect, but I have to admit that I went into the classroom thinking that it would not be a good fit for DS. I was really surprised by what I saw during the afternoon I was there. During the course of the afternoon, I saw all three grade levels (6th, 7th, and 8th, in separate classes), which gave me a good idea of how the students progressed through the program. I was impressed by the positive behavior program, the strong relationships between the teacher and the students, the routine, the attention to the students' individual needs, and the academic work. The students have a wide variety of challenges including anxiety, depression, ODD, and Asperger's, some with additional learning disabilities and/or processing issues. There is also a wide range of academic ability, from gifted to well behind grade level. The students are not in the ED unit all day; they attend several classes in the general units, in either regular classrooms or general resource rooms, depending on their needs. (DH previously observed these resource rooms and was impressed by them).

I had had a good discussion with the teacher after school. She admitted that they (she and the other ED teacher) have limited experience with autism; although they have students with Asperger's, they recognize the difference between Asperger's and autism. In the past, they received some training in autism from the regional center, and that is a resource we could bring in to provide additional training. To my surprise, she had heard of hyperlexia; however, she has no experience with it, so again some training would be needed. She was very open to getting training and to discussing what additional supports DS would need, such as access to the sensory room, visual supports, and a one-on-one aide.

All in all, I felt very hopeful that this might work as a placement for DS. It's not perfect and will take a lot of work to develop the right accommodations, but I think it's doable. The next steps are for DH to observe the classroom, for us to meet with the other teacher, and have the teachers meet DS before we make a final decision.

I appreciate the thoughts and experiences everyone shared, both on this thread and the PMs I received. Thanks.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Gena, thanks for updating. i'm really glad to read this - it sounds like the teachers are truly invested in their students, and it's great that they are open to getting the training they would need to work with your DS.

Glad it's sounding like it might be a good placement. Do you have any way of observing the current 5th grade ED students to see if they have similar needs to the 6th/7th/8th you observed? I guess one worry I would have is that they may be bringing up a group of students who are very different (more behind academically, more volatile behaviors) and you may be disappointed by how much the rooms adapt to fit their needs vs those of your DS. OTOH, it sounds like the teachers are good which is a huge piece. Did you get the sense they have a good support at that school - principal, special ed admins, etc?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

great update -- you so deserve a great fit!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm glad you had a good visit! I hope everything works out.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast