Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Did you have your tubes tied?

I found out a girlfriend had her tubes tied after her last baby (all C's). I will have another C most likely and so have started thinking about this possibility. Has anyone done this? Pros and cons please? TIA!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

nope -- DH got the bag of peas. After 2 c-sections it was his turn.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I've had 3 c-sections, my first of which was vertical/classic incision. We want one more kid and have the ok from my OB and high risk doctor/MFM, but I probably will get my tubes tied if/when/during my 4th c-section. I'm only 30 though, so I really don't love the thought of doing something so permanent, especially after living through some of the worst case scenarios, but I figure I could do IVF to get pregnant if for whatever crazy reason we changed our mind and decided we had to have another, and we would have to give serious consideration to using a surrogate/adoption/etc. anyway because I really can't see either of my doctors being thrilled with a 5th c-section when my pregnancies are already high risk for other reasons.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom wanted her tubes tied right after delivering my younger brother. The OB pushed her not to -- said he recommended not making the decision in the highly emotional time around a new baby and to wait awhile. They did....and then younger sister happened by surprise....she got her tubes tied immediately after younger sister was delivered!!! She said it didn't seem like recovery was any worse/harder because of it.
    Lizi

I had mine tied after DS. I knew I was done and was opened up anyway (2nd c section). No extra recovery time, so seemed easy enough. I had already discussed it with my doctor about midway through my pregnancy.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No, DH had a V later. My last 2 were Cs, but I really wanted to make sure that DC3 was healthy before we took any final measures.
    K

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had my tubes tied during my 4th c-section. I thought my recovery was a bit harder, but I don't know if that was attributable to the tube tying or the fact that I had 3 young kids at home. I remember reading here that there is a higher failure rate associated to having your tubes tied during a c-section vs. having the procedure done separately, but I can't remember the details.

I had my tubes tied during my 2nd C. We were done and we had made the decision earlier in the pregnancy that since I was already on the table, may as well do it then. DH was going to have a V as well, but shortly after DS2, he had valve replacement surgery and is now on coumadin and we're a bit more wary about any kind of surgery. So, I'm glad I just went ahead & had it done.

The recovery was really no different. I had a little bit of isolated pain on one side, for one day that I didn't have the during the first C. Dr mentioned that it was common with the tubal ligation. It was nothing major, just a dull ache.
    -----------------------
    Karen

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had mine tied after my 3rd c-section. I knew we were done with 3 and I was 38. i had issues with recovery and in fact that one may have been my easiest recovery. If I had not had sections DH would have had a vasectomy.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn't have cesareans, but dh and I both agreed it was his turn after 3 vaginal births.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast