Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

no. dh will have a V. but still not sure when. we might like one more. (but no sections here, so I don't want an abdominal surgery)
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Nope. The big V for him. My OB said it isn't just a tiny add on to a c-section and they don't recommend doing it as part of the c-section anyway. A V is less invasive and more minor too. I don't know any women IRL of my generation who have done it, only women from my mom's generation. The V is the norm for our group.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No but various medical staff offered to no less than six times when I checked into the hospital for my planned c-section. They want to see the back of me! I am high risk.

It is all personal but I would never, ever pursue tubes tied or a v. There are too many forms of birth control that are reversible and work just fine for us. I have also known a fairly high number of people who changed their minds about being done, some had to reverse Vs. To each their own certainly but I feel like the point deserves raising for anyone making that decision. I guess given my own history I feel like people are lucky to have the option, you want to be very set in your mind about the benefits to you and your family of perm foreclosing it. Good luck whatever you decide!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did during my 3rd csection. My Ob said it would only be an extra 10 minutes and not a huge deal. It was as expected and I didn't notice any difference during recovery. My Ob did say she typically tries to talk people out of it but based on my complicated reproductive history, ds2 being my 3rd child and my age (37)she didn't question my decision at all.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH had a vasectomy. We were on the fence about having more after DS2 (a C-section) was born, so I didn't have my tubes tied during. Not sure what decision I would have made even if we I knew we'd be done at 2.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Plus, I delivered at a Catholic hospital so a tubal was not an option.
    K

Yes as part of my C-sect with DD. I was 40, and while I could envision expanding our family in the future I was ok with not being pregnant again given my age. I probably wouldn't have done it if I wasn't already doing the c-sect and if I wasn't as old as I was. My dr. seemed pretty neutral about them and never mentioned anything about it being problematic to do during C-sect. It was no big deal recovery wise, my Dr. took quite a bit of time talking to me about it, ensuring that I was ok with it, exploring other permanent options for both DH and I. Even though I was content in my decision I do have to say that I grieved a bit at the finality of it but it's ok to feel contradictory emotions, you know? Mostly I just wish I was 10 years younger

My Dr. also recommended that I fill out the paperwork about a month ahead of time and carry it in my purse. That way if something happened like a car accident and I found myself going into an emergency c-sect w/out him, I could still have the tubal done *if* I wanted to.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My OB/midwife practice doesn't do it with a c. They ask you to wait several months to make sure you're sure and to allow for a more successful surgery if you do go that route. DH had a V, which I thought was fair after my c-section and VBAC.

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes. I had 3 vaginal births but my IUD perforated my abdomen a few months after dd (#3) was born so I had my tubes tied since I needed surgery to retrieve it anyways

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Nope. The big V for him. My OB said it isn't just a tiny add on to a c-section and they don't recommend doing it as part of the c-section anyway. A V is less invasive and more minor too. I don't know any women IRL of my generation who have done it, only women from my mom's generation. The V is the norm for our group.
    It adds about 5 minutes to the c-section. The tubes are literally right there connected to the uterus, which is already being manipulated to close the incision aka hysterotomy. A tubal ligation at the time of a repeat cesarean section is very common here in Texas and was very common when I was in residency in LA as well. Coming back for a tubal ligation after the fact is far less common.

Personally I'm with sste - I think I'd prefer to keep my options open, even if I felt fairly certain that I was done. I worry too much about the regrets and what ifs otherwise.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast