Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes to running water! I think you're right and he just needs to get over that one hump of peeing in the potty rather than his clothing/diaper. It does sound like he's ready!

Run the water in the sink or bathtub (whatever is closer to him) while he's sitting on the pot. Or get a bowl of warm water and let him put his hands/feet into it while sitting on the pot. Or if you have a shower head that reaches, run warm water on him while he's sitting on the pot.

Wish someone had done that for me when I got my catheter out after my c-section.

Or get him a book or other distraction to play with on the pot.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Warm water, huh? Never thought if that, will try it.

I was thinking that running the water was a Pavlovian association born of the fact that that's close to the sound peeing in a toilet makes, so he wouldn't necessarily have that. Plus, since he's sitting (w the ipad) for hour long stretches, that's a lot of water

Will try to stay the course but DH who is home w him today wants to give up

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Naked potty training is what got us over the hump. Turn up the heat, and let him be free. The DVD "potty power" was also invaluable to us (we tried many other potty training vids, but only this one did the trick - recommended to us on here).

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Warm water, huh? Never thought if that, will try it.

I was thinking that running the water was a Pavlovian association born of the fact that that's close to the sound peeing in a toilet makes, so he wouldn't necessarily have that. Plus, since he's sitting (w the ipad) for hour long stretches, that's a lot of water

Will try to stay the course but DH who is home w him today wants to give up
    When DD1 was about 15 months old and the ped was trying to get a pee sample by taping that collection bag on her...we waited for almost TWO HOURS without her peeing. Finally one of the nurses told me to take her to the bathroom, fill the sink with warm water, and let her put her hands/feet in it. Presto - IMMEDIATE pee

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    When DD1 was about 15 months old and the ped was trying to get a pee sample by taping that collection bag on her...we waited for almost TWO HOURS without her peeing. Finally one of the nurses told me to take her to the bathroom, fill the sink with warm water, and let her put her hands/feet in it. Presto - IMMEDIATE pee
    It really works! In fact, in summer sleepover camp, this was a known prank. If you put someone's hand in warm water, they'd pee in the bed!

I wouldn't leave him on the potty for so long. I'd do 10-15 minutes at a time maximum. While he was on the potty I'd try making sssssssss noises, running the tap a bit, and putting his hand in a cup of warm water. If there was no action, off the potty he'd go. I'd try again in half an hour or so or if he feels the urge again. Also, if you're using the big toilet rather than a free standing potty, get a high stool he can rest his feet on so they're not dangling. The closer you can get him to a squatting position with his knees above the level of his bottom, the easier it will be for him to relax the right muscles. That's one reason why a free standing potty can be better for a beginner.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you think he's peeing in reaction to the feeling of having his clothes on, maybe you can take advantage of the fly on his underwear? As in, keep the undies up but have him use the fly for, um, clearance.

(if you're already doing this, my apologies for stating the obvious. When we trained DS, I for some reason never even considered that the fly was functional on little boy undies).
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    If you think he's peeing in reaction to the feeling of having his clothes on, maybe you can take advantage of the fly on his underwear? As in, keep the undies up but have him use the fly for, um, clearance.

(if you're already doing this, my apologies for stating the obvious. When we trained DS, I for some reason never even considered that the fly was functional on little boy undies).
    OMG, this never would have occurred to me in a million years!! Definitely will try tonight with some warm water.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2