Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default mixing baby cereal with other foods?

Years ago, at my son's 9 month visit (and he was essentially on table food by then) the pediatrician mentioned something that has always stuck with me. She said something about mixing the baby cereal (oatmeal or rice) with yogurt in addition to baby food.

This took me back a step. I had only ever mixed the baby cereal with breastmilk. So, I guess what I'm asking... should I always be mixing the baby cereal with the pureed baby foods? (because I have never done that before). I'm about ready to introduce pureed foods to my dd2.

What have you done? What is normal? Because now that I've got my 3rd kid, I clearly have no idea! lol

I always found the purees to be really soupy, and added baby oatmeal to them to give them some texture and thickness. I don't think it's something you should or shouldn't do, just a matter of personal preference and what your baby likes.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I always found the purees to be really soupy, and added baby oatmeal to them to give them some texture and thickness. I don't think it's something you should or shouldn't do, just a matter of personal preference and what your baby likes.
    Same here. I added as they got older so they were used to thicker textures to prepare them for table foods. We moved quickly to table foods so this was short lived. I never added to yogurt though. We use plain greek and it is plenty thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I always did that. Figured it made feeding tins shorter to do 2 in 1.

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks all. It seems I've been doing this a "non traditional" way in the past.

DS ate oatmeal about 3 times (mixed with breast milk) and wasn't a big fan, so we have never really done cereal at all. He does a combination of yogurt, purees, and table food now and seems to like pretty much everything he has tried.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, I often mixed together -- either to thicken up purees (then I wouldn't use breastmilk) or to add something extra to the cereal (so I'd make it thick, with breastmilk, and then add fruit or veggies) -- like SnuggleBuggles -- then I only had 1 bowl to feed from instead of 2!
    Lizi

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't do baby cereal at all, there are a lot of reasons to skip it and fewer to do it. There are better ways to feed solids and better foods to do it with than the processed enriched cereals.

FWIW, our youngest kids were born the same month and I definitely wouldn't be starting solids at barely 5 months old.

I'd instead look into starting with fruits and vegetables, preferably ones she picks up and feeds herself (like mushy pieces of sweet potato or banana).
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I never did baby cereal. It has no benefit, really. My younger son only ate real foods, because I didn't want the hassle of spoon-feeding like I did with my older son. I started with a whole, very ripe pear.

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I don't do baby cereal at all, there are a lot of reasons to skip it and fewer to do it. There are better ways to feed solids and better foods to do it with than the processed enriched cereals.

FWIW, our youngest kids were born the same month and I definitely wouldn't be starting solids at barely 5 months old.

I'd instead look into starting with fruits and vegetables, preferably ones she picks up and feeds herself (like mushy pieces of sweet potato or banana).
    this exactly - we didn't do any grains until after a year and still limited

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast