Default Which basketball hoop?

We want to get DS (almost 4) a basketball hoop for either Christmas or his birthday. Trying to decide which one to get... We looked at the Skillz one but we are renting and don't have a good place to hang it! (Although I guess theoretically we could build a stand?) Both kids are tall for their ages. DD might use it sometimes, and she's almost 7. DS is just about 42" tall.

Little Tikes - this is the cheapest but also the smallest... http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-E...=1418148977624
    Fisher Price - http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L...=1418148997565
    Step 2 - http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Shootin-...p+2+basketball
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitlyns.mom View Post
    We want to get DS (almost 4) a basketball hoop for either Christmas or his birthday. Trying to decide which one to get... We looked at the Skillz one but we are renting and don't have a good place to hang it! (Although I guess theoretically we could build a stand?) Both kids are tall for their ages. DD might use it sometimes, and she's almost 7. DS is just about 42" tall.

Little Tikes - this is the cheapest but also the smallest... http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-E...=1418148977624
    Fisher Price - http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L...=1418148997565
    Step 2 - http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Shootin-...p+2+basketball
    I wouldn't get the Little Tikes one...we had that one and just sold it. He loved it when he was younger, but I think at almost 4 you won't get much time out of it due to size. (We have an adjustable outdoor hoop in the driveway and he can use that one on the lower settings and we bought the Skillz one for christmas). That Little Tikes one also tips really easily at the higher settings if you don't fill the bottom with something (water, sand, etc.). My mom has the Fisher Price one which is still decent size for him and is more sturdy - he will probably get another year or so out of that one. No experience with the Step 2 one, but we have other products of theirs that have held up nicely over the years so I wouldn't hesitate with the brand. HTH!

Ok, I know is is a really old topic, but we are looking to get one of these for DS for Christmas this year. He is currently 18 months and about 32 inches, and will turn 2 in February. The step 2 one looks too big for him. I am thinking maybe the Fisher Price one -- or would the Little Tykes be better for a 2 year old? We plan to let him use it inside at least this winter, then probably take it outside when it gets warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Default Which basketball hoop?

We have both the little tykes and the grow to pro. The little tykes is tiny and we keep it in the basement. Even at 2 my son could dunk on it and make baskets. My son is rough so we have had to have it filled with water from the beginning. Some friends have a less wild child and they have never filled it and still not had trouble with tipping. My son has had it for a year and still plays with it when the weather is too bad to go outside, but I think a four year old would quickly outgrow it.

In the back yard we have the grow to pro. It is much bigger in general and more solid although I think it is more top heavy cause we have had the base filled from the day we got it and it blows over with even a small wind. It hasn't tipped when being played with. It was a beast for me to put together and read some reviews before you get it cause some people seemed frustrated with it cause of what I am about to describe (I'm not sure how easy to understand this will be without seeing it). The absolute lowest setting only uses one pole. To get the adjustable setting you have to use both poles, but a lot of people had trouble getting the first pole out too add the second pole once it was already assembled. When it is first put together with only one pole it it not adjustable. When we put it together we skipped that step (since we already had a small one) and went straight to the two pole adjustable set up. The lowest setting isn't very low but since we got it the year after the little tykes one by then he got the concept of making baskets so he never got frustrated. At four your DS may not need the lowest setting - if that is the case I would read the directions carefully and just skip that step too. This one will last much longer as it goes much taller. Not sure how tall your ceilings are but I don't think this one would have fit in our house (especially is you skip to the setting where the basket is adjustable).

Edited to add: oops. I'm on my phone and I answered the original old post. Sorry. At 18 months the little tykes would be the perfect size. The grow to pro may work too but you would have to use the lowest setting and would not be adjustable. The little tykes would be perfect for now but the grow to pro would last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chitowngirl; 09-12-2015 at 07:35 AM.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have one, I think it is the little tikes one posted in the original thread. It's fine for my girls (ages 20 months and 5.75 years) but it is just for play and is used indoors in our finished basement. For an 18 month old it is perfect because it can be set so low. For an older kid who seriously likes to play basketball, it would be too childish/small. DD1 is in no way a serious athlete/basketball player; instead, she likes to try crazy throws from the mini trampoline or backwards and stuff like that, and it is fine for that. We don't even have it weighted.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    We have one, I think it is the little tikes one posted in the original thread. It's fine for my girls (ages 20 months and 5.75 years) but it is just for play and is used indoors in our finished basement. For an 18 month old it is perfect because it can be set so low. For an older kid who seriously likes to play basketball, it would be too childish/small. DD1 is in no way a serious athlete/basketball player; instead, she likes to try crazy throws from the mini trampoline or backwards and stuff like that, and it is fine for that. We don't even have it weighted.

I also found this junior version of the Step2 one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

I will get either that or the Little Tykes one.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17