Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: always late

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This has been an issue before with my cousin. My parents excused it for yrs, but finally got sick of it and started serving. He has been SIX hours late before, no call or anything. Ppl can be so rude.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have finally reached the conclusion that some people are just chronically late and there is nothing to do about it. I almost think it's like a hard wired personality trait. It drives me bonkers because I am so far the other way when it comes to punctuality. If you tell me to be there at 2, I'm sitting in your driveway at 1:58 LOL!

When I know people are late and there is no avoiding the situation (like a family meal) then I do adjust my menu to account for that. I save the things where timing is critical for another time.

Also, as an aside, it drives me INSANE that my ILs are not capable of timing a meal (especially Thanksgiving) so that everything is all done and hot at the same time. When it isn't my turn to host, I've learned that I have to just not be in the kitchen or associated with the meal at all.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am really glad I posted here because I was able to get through the weekend without a single snarky comment to DH about the inlaws. in this case, it is easier because they are great to be around and genuinely love the kids so I don't have much else to complain about. I think this is really a case of, no matter what, they will be significantly late. it wouldn't be hard for me to cope with if their visits weren't short to begin with but it is what it is. We did end up having a very nice visit, albeit quite short.

Should I chime in as a chronically late individual? I really do feel like I'm hard wired to be late. I was raised by a super efficient, pressured and critical mother, so in some ways I think being late is my little rebellion. I can be organized about life just can't get out the door on time. I try very very hard to be on time for appts or things where I know someone is waiting for us, but I am not very good at coming on time to parties.
    OP- I'm sorry your in laws keep disappointing you this way. I hoped perspective helps a little. Honestly, I'm grateful when people adjust their expectations instead of being annoyed with me, although I know it's totally my bad.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

Also, as an aside, it drives me INSANE that my ILs are not capable of timing a meal (especially Thanksgiving) so that everything is all done and hot at the same time. When it isn't my turn to host, I've learned that I have to just not be in the kitchen or associated with the meal at all.
    Oh, this is my MOM, and part of the problem is my dad pushing her to make waaaay more food than necessary, so she is always like, "I just have onnnnnne more thing to make." By the time we eat, half of it is cold, b/c she isn't able to time it properly. It is a major pet peeve of my husband to see good food ruined by bad timing...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Shanamama--I am always 15 minutes late too. Some things I can get too, but lots of things, I just don't make it. But an hour late, 2 hours late???? um, no.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2