Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm all about paying it forward and do plenty of favors for others along those lines with school/kids/sports/carpools. Knowing that I have been before and will be again on the asking end of those requests. But if you're asking for a favor, be accommodating not demanding.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    I'm all about paying it forward and do plenty of favors for others along those lines with school/kids/sports/carpools. Knowing that I have been before and will be again on the asking end of those requests. But if you're asking for a favor, be accommodating not demanding.
    I agree with this. I am happy to help out a friend in need. However, if you are asking for a favor, you should do your best to accommodate the favor giver. If I want someone to help me out and watch my child, I will drop my child off wherever the watcher wants my child to be dropped off so as to inconvenience the watcher less. I would not ask the watcher to meet somewhere "closer and convenient to ME" just so I don't have to drive as far to drop my child off.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Anyone who asks if her kid can sleep over at your kid's house uninvited is on the "hell no" train forever.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm dying to know what in the world this other mom is doing while everyone else in the world is toting her kid everywhere, watching her kid, etc.etc.etc.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Wow! Does that Mom ever reciprocate? Offer to drive/watch or pick up? I'm curious. I would find the overnight request beyond the pale for anyone who isn't a very close friend or someone in a real pinch. I would practice my "No!" in front of a mirror and be ready for her next request.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

No, she does not reciprocate. She does not offer her services, but I also am not one to ask for favors, generally. I only ask someone for a favor if I have no other alternative, and I am desperate. I do think she would help if I asked for help. But I just don't ask, so reciprocation does not come up.
    Mommy to Two DDs

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow, just wow. OK, so you don't ever ask for her to do you a favor, but she should be offering to help you if you ever need it. That's how it works for normal people! When I ask a favor of a friend, or they ask one of me, we always follow up either at the same time as the request or afterwards with a "let me know if I can ever return the favor/help you out/I owe you one." But it sounds like she never even gives a vague offer. And the birthday overnight request? Way, way, way out of bounds.

This is not a friend you need. At least I wouldn't. And here is what you say:

"Sorry we can't help, that doesn't work for us."

For example:

Overstepping boundaries in a big way mom (OBIABWM): Hi, can you pick up my daughter from school and take her home with you, give her a snack, help her with her homework and then take her to practice, then bring her home?
    You: Sorry we can't help, that doesn't work for us.
    OBIABWM: But my cutie pie honey will miss practice and won't get her homework done unless you do this.
    OBIABWM: Surely your daughter would like the company, plus she can help my daughter do her homework, maybe even do the work for my sweetie pie!
    OBIAWM: But you're already picking up your daughter at school, taking her to your home, feeding her a snack, overseeing her homework, taking her to practice . . . I'm really only asking you to drive my daughter home from practice, don't you see?
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    Wow, just wow. OK, so you don't ever ask for her to do you a favor, but she should be offering to help you if you ever need it. That's how it works for normal people! When I ask a favor of a friend, or they ask one of me, we always follow up either at the same time as the request or afterwards with a "let me know if I can ever return the favor/help you out/I owe you one." But it sounds like she never even gives a vague offer. And the birthday overnight request? Way, way, way out of bounds.

This is not a friend you need. At least I wouldn't. And here is what you say:

For example:

Overstepping boundaries in a big way mom (OBIABWM): Hi, can you pick up my daughter from school and take her home with you, give her a snack, help her with her homework and then take her to practice, then bring her home?
    OBIABWM: But my cutie pie honey will miss practice and won't get her homework done unless you do this.
    OBIABWM: Surely your daughter would like the company, plus she can help my daughter do her homework, maybe even do the work for my sweetie pie!
    OBIAWM: But you're already picking up your daughter at school, taking her to your home, feeding her a snack, overseeing her homework, taking her to practice . . . I'm really only asking you to drive my daughter home from practice, don't you see?
    So funny! Made me smile and laugh!

I don't know why I have such a hard time in these situations. I hate that she goes beyond the normal imposition, but I also hate how I care too much about being a pleaser and offending people by saying "no." I know we can't please everyone and help everyone out all the time. And it should be simple to just say "Sorry, no can do." I struggle with saying the simple "no." My "no's" always have some explanation or apology tied to them, which I know I should not feel obligated to provide. Yet, somehow I feel bad if I do not muster up some reasonable excuse. I need to learn to just say no without the guilt trip.
    Mommy to Two DDs

I especially like the acronym OBIABWM. I will have to use that one from now on!
    Mommy to Two DDs

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Both examples are way over the line. I have friends with whom I regularly swap favors (key word- swap!). I would never ask either of those things of them, nor they of me. If they did, I'm sure there would be a very clear cut reason that would make it understandable - which is definitely not the case here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast