Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    I think I'm going to make a (short) list for each kid before they get off the bus today. At the worst, they'll at least do their homework as an alternative, instead of sitting watching TV or playing computer games while I clean around them, right?
    Just wanted to update: this was mildly successful. I handed the girls their lists when they came home. There were four tasks on each list, each task would take 5 minutes or so if done without drama - so a total of 20 minutes for each girl. It probably took twice that when all was said and done.

Oh the drama:
    DD2: "What do you mean I have to pick up *all* the dirty socks and put them in the hamper? That's not fair, why do I have to pick up DD1's socks??"
    Me: "I pick up everyone's socks all the time, and DD1 is doing a different job right now."

DD1: "What do you mean I have to put *all* of my dirty clothes in my hamper? That's going to take me all day and all night and I'm going to miss the bus tomorrow."
    Me: "You don't have *that* many clothes, and if you just put them in there every day it wouldn't be so much work now...maybe something to keep in mind when you change for bed tonight?"

So, not *much* help, but more than nothing. It's a start. I may try it again tomorrow, though the sitter will have to oversee their efforts.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Love the dialogue - thanks for sharing, lol! Hmm maybe I should try assigning lists. Wonder how that will go over with my girls.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've done the "this is what has to get done and if it's not done by x time, we're not going to be able to do y." I'm going to need to pull this out soon, as there is so much to do before the ILs get here and I've been studying for an exam. DS will HAVE to help.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Sounds like a great start and, hey, practice makes perfect! If they get used to coming home and doing a short list of chores each day, then it should cut back on the whining and improve their skill. Eventually, they may even be truly helpful
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have decided that all the yelling in the world doesn't work. But make them do it before they can do something anticipated that they asked for? Golden!!

"Yes, we can put that movie on and pop popcorn. Clean up the art table first, it will only take a few minutes!"
    "Yes, we can have dessert for snacks. All the toys on the floor need to be put away first."
    "Quick, grandma will be here in 15 minutes! Don't let her see this mess!"
    "We can't bake cookies until this kitchen is clean".

I'll also do this about 30 minutes before an outing:
    "OK, 30 minutes until we get to go shopping. All the toys need to be put away, or else you know what the dog might do..."

What I REALLY want to do is just give away half their crap. If they didn't have so much STUFF, it would be SO MUCH EASIER to put away because everything would have a place. We recently got a big sectional with a storage ottoman and I have been encouraging them to put into the ottoman things they don't play with anymore...it's filling up and once it's full I'll bag it up and take it to goodwill.

I feel ya on all the stuff to do though!!! DH couldn't give a lick whether teachers get gifts or cards. He doesn't care a lick about what to get my family or our friends for Christmas, etc. So that's all on me. Yeah, it'd be nice to get help but at the same time since NO ONE ELSE cares, then I want to be the one to do it!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2