Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but is the idea to get rid of 2015 things? That's a lot! I'm just curious. I'm a pretty good purger generally, and I'm not sure I could find 2015 things.
    Yes, that's the idea. It starts to really add up when you get rid of old paperwork, magazines, etc. I did it in 2012 and 2013 although I didn't see it through to the end. I'm going to work hard to finish this year.

I think I want to be in! How does this work? Any old stuff we have that I want to donate, get rid of? Or only new items coming into the house during 2015?

I really need to declutter my basement as planning to convert to a finished space sometime 2016. So I give myself a whole year to get into that process of emptying the basement as much I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I think I want to be in! How does this work? Any old stuff we have that I want to donate, get rid of? Or only new items coming into the house during 2015?

I really need to declutter my basement as planning to convert to a finished space sometime 2016. So I give myself a whole year to get into that process of emptying the basement as much I can.

We count anything that has been hanging around the house unloved that exits your house. Items can be sold, recycled, given away, or trashed. Clothes, books, gear, paperwork that you know needs to go but you haven't been able to let go of, expired food from your pantry, food you pass on to someone else because you know you aren't going to use it. If you see it and think I really need to get rid of that, it counts. People can guesstimate how many items are in bags and boxes if you don't want to count - just eyeball it and decide how many things you think are inside.

I kept a tablet near my phone and would add tally marks as things moved from my house to the garage donate pile. That worked for me but do whatever works for you. I would post the list to this thread and total it. Next time you can just quote your last post and add the new items and get a new total.

Here's a link to the thread from 2013.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...highlight=2013

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but is the idea to get rid of 2015 things? That's a lot! I'm just curious. I'm a pretty good purger generally, and I'm not sure I could find 2015 things.
    Me, too...I pitch too much stuff, sometimes, and have to rebuy. But I'm all about continuing to de clutter! Is there a chart, I think a pp mentioned? My type A likes a list or chart to mark things off
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

I want to try this! My basement is an ode to a 7 yr old boy (who is now almost 13!).

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm just now seeing this...if you count each individual item as one thing (like a Little People figurine), or a book, or a ball...then I've easily given away 500 items over the past few days. Does it count even though it's not technically 2015? I'm doing a MAJOR toy purge and this is pretty much the only time I have to do it!

I'm still cringing at dropping off TONS of Mini Boden and Hanna clothes at Goodwill but I had to come to terms with the fact that I really just don't have time to list/sell them

Yup - it counts!!

I was at the same point with my DC's stuff. I hated the thought of it getting used as rags or of it ending up in a pile on the floor of a store getting trashed after I took such good care of it. I finally let go and think of someone else being thrilled to have it and loving putting their DS in it!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I'm just now seeing this...if you count each individual item as one thing (like a Little People figurine), or a book, or a ball...then I've easily given away 500 items over the past few days. Does it count even though it's not technically 2015? I'm doing a MAJOR toy purge and this is pretty much the only time I have to do it!

I'm still cringing at dropping off TONS of Mini Boden and Hanna clothes at Goodwill but I had to come to terms with the fact that I really just don't have time to list/sell them

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    Me, too...I pitch too much stuff, sometimes, and have to rebuy. But I'm all about continuing to de clutter! Is there a chart, I think a pp mentioned? My type A likes a list or chart to mark things off
    This is the website where I got the chart from: http://nourishingminimalism.com/2014...challenge.html. The link was sent to my Spam folder FYI.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in. I think I'll use a piece of fine graph paper to check off my stuff as it goes- should be easy to tally that way. I've been shopping a bit too much lately - need to send some stuff out the door.

ETA: Hmm, I know I am bringing a lot into the house lately, I think I will track what comes in as well, just for the heck of it.

I think that decluttering my office alone could accomplish the "2015" if I counted each piece of paper.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 01-01-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: more info

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not doing a good job of counting or keeping track but we probably got rid of 500+ items today. My car is packed with items to donate and we have filled a large garbage bin. Got rid of lots of toys and old shoes.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast