Default Need help with an easy Christmas dinner to feed 12!

So, the number of people I thought I was cooking for, for Christmas dinner just doubled this morning--eek! And to top it off I feel like I may be getting sick. Ugh. So, my typically beautiful spread of Honey Baked ham, homemade augratin potatoes, French green beans, etc, etc. is so not happening this year.

I need to lower the bar a few notches and go with a scaled down easy, home style family dinner.

I'm thinking a spiral ham from the store--a ham from Honey Baked to feed 12 would be crazy $$ I'm guessing.
    A tray of macaroni and cheese from Wegmans.
    What else?? Or something else entirely? I thought about a lasagna dinner, but I think everyone else would be very disappointed that it wasn't "Christmasy" without ham.

Help! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get a spiral ham from Costco (or Wegmans). My kids like that better anyway. They dislike the glaze the HB ham has on it.

Why can't you make your regular menu and just double it? For the au gratin potatoes, just make two pans instead of 1.

I think a baked pasta dish on the side would work well. If you can get the potatoes and the lasagna in the over at the same time, it would work well.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Default Need help with an easy Christmas dinner to feed 12!

Will do on the ham!
    As far as the other dishes go, it just feels like too much food quantity wise to make all by myself (everyone else is coming from out of state and not helpful .

Im hoping that Wegmans has party size trays of mashed potatoes, and then maybe I'll do a big tray of green beans, store bought rolls.

Sent from my iPad
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Double green bean casserole http://southern.food.com/recipe/scal...potatoes-85629 not hard make the day before sit in fridge get the ham at coscto / grocery store we dont like glaze either
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

do a green salad LOL find a nice salad bar go load up on pre chopped items get some romaine
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Costco has fabulous au gratin potatoes for $6/ tray. Buy 2 trays and their ham plus a salad.
    A lasagna works too.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would just cruise through Costco and see what catches your eye. I agree that their ham is good. Fill in with grocery store stuff. Some of the stores near us do premade sides around the holidays that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Sounds stressful. I wouldn't want to cook for that many, either. Hope you find some good stuff and can relax and enjoy the time together.

BTW, good to "see" you around for the holidays. Hope your family is well. Kisses especially to your littlest one, who is my DD's BBB twin
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

another easy side is just corn ... I like the organic frozen corn from Trader Joes but I believe Costco sells a larger bag for a good price. Just put it in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil then drain and add some butter. Not fancy but it goes well with Ham and mashed potatoes... and kids usually like it.

A green salad is good and easy too.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have an easy mashed potato recipe that feeds 12. You make the day before then into a casserole dish for cooking the day you eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Corn pudding is easy and a big hit. I warn you that it's not a low fat dish...

The ratio is one box jiffy corn muffin mix, one can of drained corn, one can of cream corn, one stick of butter, bake at 350F for for about 30-40 min. If you want more for a bigger crowd, just double the recipe.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs