Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

i'm the candy maker in this house (since living with my folks now and mom does lots of cookies)-- i plan on doing peanut brittle, white peppermint fudge (changing it up from my normal white chocolate fudge), and marshmallows (probably vanilla and peppermint dipped in chocolate). i'll also do some icebox cranberry orange cookies my mother requested and "world peace cookies" which are a dark chocolate cookie with sea salt (also icebox style) oh, and i said i'd make pecan chocolate tassies.... i guess that means i'm equal on cookies and candy this year

yesterday for my daughter's birthday i made some funfetti gooey butter cookies-- they were really good and super easy! i bought the ingredients to make those again, so i might before her real birthday on the 23rd. (if i make these i'm at 4 cookies, 3 candy)

oh-- and mother is making : chocolate chip, biscotti (anisette), peanut butter bonbons and something else i can't remember. making christmas trees? (they are just pressed butter cookies that are green with green sugar....) i'm probably forgetting something because that doesn't sound like enough.

edited to add: i think mother is going to do sugar cookies-- we press them out with the same cutters my grandma had in the 50s when mom was growing up. they are a pain in the A*s but we love them. we don't do those every year.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Wow this thread is making me feel lame. I should bake more. I was going to make choc chip cookies.
    Don't feel lame. Maybe baking isn't your thing, or isn't your thing right now. I like to bake and have some Christmas favorites that I always make. I wouldn't be happy not making them as teacher gifts and for my family, even though I was questioning my sanity on Friday getting them all ready to go to teachers and how long it took. In contrast, I don't like to decorate at Christmas and do very little. It's not my thing and gives me energy to do what I do like - baking!

To my fellow bakers, I was proud of my resurrection of a near-Christmas fail. I made the pretzel bite things, which are so easy you can do them with toddlers, AND THEY DIDN'T TURN OUT. I heated them for 4 minutes at 200 degree, exactly as one of the recipes said, but the morning after I made them, the chocolate the Hershey Kisses had "bloomed" (white spots from the cocoa butter appeared all over them, making them look like leftovers from last Christmas). I had over 120 and was counting on them to help fill the teacher cookie plates, and I had no time to make more.

I consulted with my family, who suggested powdered sugar to hide all sins and then we had a laugh coming up with names for the new thing. Snow Mountains were suggested and I sarcastically suggested " 's No Problem" because that's what they had become. I dusted them all with powdered sugar, considered them adequate although not beautiful, and deliberately wrote in the teacher note "Enjoy these Snowy Salty Sweets." Sometimes making do is as good a skill as making it great!
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What treats are you baking?

So far I have made Bourbon Balls, two rum cakes (already taken to holiday parties and eaten), and Gingerbread Men. I plan to make M&M cookies, chocolate covered oreo balls, and if time permits oatmeal butterscotch cookies. I might make Chex Muddy Buddies if time permits. Dd1 will also most likely insist on making cake pops with her new cake pop maker on Xmas morning so I will need to get ingredients for that too.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Liz and Twoboos, thanks for the recipe links! We got rid of the pan that I normally used to make them and I completely forgot about it. I thought that I had used an older, larger one. Basically, I had about twice the crackers and space to cover with the normal amount of butter/sugar goo. I'll make a new batch (with a better sized pan) this evening and will update with the results!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pretzel Rolo Pecan things...don't know the real name, but they are easy!

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think everyone in my area is making something from Pinterest with pretzels because I have literally been to every Walmart and grocery story and no one has pretzels!! DD likes to make the pretzels with the hershey kiss on top and I can't find them anywhere!

I made fudge with pecans today and will make sugar cookies tomorrow. Making mini cherry cheesecakes for Christmas Eve also. I wanted to make something else so I'll be watching this thread!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Krystal, can you share your mini cherry cheesecake recipe?

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So far I made sugar cookie snowflakes, stockings, and ornaments all decorated and must given out to teachers. Still have snowman left to make. Also made Amaretto Napoleans, M&M, chocolate chip, butterscotch cookies that were meant to go to school with DD1 for her Christmas party but she ended up getting sick. Chocolate chip meringues, chocolate candy cane cookies, amaretto cream truffles. Still planning on making rosettes, shortbread caramel thumbprint, and jam thumbprint. Need to get going but DD1 just wants me to sit by her.

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    Krystal, can you share your mini cherry cheesecake recipe?
    http://m.kraftrecipes.com/recipedeta...id=55259&cn=US

I'm making this one. My kids love them. Make sure you refrigerate at least 1 hour. I usually leave them overnight before I put cherries on top. They get firm so you can pull the muffin cup off, otherwise it's really runny.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    5cups mini marshmallows 4 tbls butter 1 bag finely crushed oreos. Heat butter and marshmallows until creamy add crushed oreos press into greased pan cool cut and eat
    Way too easy! Thank you!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast