Thread: It's Started!!

Default It's Started!!

Ugh. I hate how DH acts around SIL and MIL. They sit at the table and listen to him pontificate on medicine etc. SIL has an awesome job in DC--I am sure she has interesting stories to tell. Meanwhile, I cook dinner AND clean up afterwards!

Then he say he wants a particular piece of art work for Xmas from them--I look at him like WHuCK?? and he says something like I am putting the kibosh on it-uh, yeah--and I say to him, "where would we put it?". SIL mentions that we have empty wall space--yes, because he has yet to hang the pix we ALREADY have downstairs in the redone family room. Why?? Because he only wants modern stuff and my art that was down there just doesn't meet his wants. He explains to SIL that I got to call the shots upstairs so he gets to do the downstairs. UM--the upstairs would be the KITCHEN where I am the ONLY person who cooks. EVER. So, yes, it is MY kitchen. No, he does not get the ENTIRE downstairs as his "man cave" and then I have to shove all of my stuff into my bedroom!!! (DH sleeps in the guest room downstairs because he works Emergency Room hours and he snores like crazy. We got married at 35 so we have plenty of stuff that is his and hers vs. ours. My mother, God rest her soul, said that DH's failing was that he actually cared about how a house was decorated )

5 more days of DH "walking on water". He wonders why i get so "weird" when we are around his family......He doesn't see that their bizarre adulation of him is ...bizarre. And, yes, I need some help here. Thank goodness I am going to go to work on Monday and Tuesday. No matter how busy I am, it will be a break!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Totally there with you--from the SIL and MIL adoring DH to the artwork/décor issues... except his prized piece of art from--wait for it--Goodwill. Nothing modern. Just the opposite, in fact! Yes, we must plan our whole home around where we will put his beloved painting. And Heaven forbid I disagree with SIL with anything, or ever say anything about how SIL isn't perfect.

Thankfully, MIL and SIL will only be at my house for about 12 hours (!!) on Christmas Day.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Fight fire with fire. Agree juuuuuuuuuust to the point that they start to wonder if you are BSing them. Then act super sincere.

Or invite them to take the conversation into the kitchen. (you don't want to miss out!!!! ) Hand them dirty dishes when you do. Hand people dish towels, brooms and sponges.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would be handing DH a dish brush. No chance I am toiling away in the kitchen while he relaxes the whole time. I don't make guests work, but DH absolutely does.

lalasmom--that cracks me up!!!

And to the suggestions of DH working--oh yes, we are doing xmas dinner tonight because DH has to work on Christmas. I will be getting help in the kitchen--I will make my needs very clear. And I am not cooking on Monday and Tuesday, when I will have been at work all day and they will all have been home. I will have to spell that out as well. sigh....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."