tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default American Girl and similar

So, is there a forum for American Girl and knock offs? I've been avoiding this until two weeks ago when I found out my dd wanted one for Christmas. (How did I not know this sooner?!) I ran out to Target and picked up their version. DD LOVES it. So now... accessories. And dd's bday is a few days away.

Is there an "intro to to the AG world" forum (and knock offs too, knock offs are totally welcome in my world! lol )

Feel free to (and please) share all your worldly advice!

I have no advice as yet. My sister got DD a plush horse and a riding outfit for an 18" doll, and my stepmother got the doll-- but it's a 20" Adora, not the 18" AG knockoff. DD already loves the 20" doll, so I'm going to get her an AG knockoff for the horse and outfit, which are just too spectacular to return. DD's only 2, so I think a very expensive doll is unwise at this point. I'm leaning towards a Madame Alexander because I like their faces. If anyone thinks that's a mistake, please let me know. I certainly could get a different brand. We don't have Costco, but we do have a Target.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd plays with her dolls and accessories a ton. The Target accessories are great.

She got the tepee and scooter

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

There are threads on here about accessories.

We have a lot from Target and TRU. She likes accessories that do things - wheelchair, scooter, salon chair, etc. Most of ours are not AG brand.

Many other brands clothes will fit as well, but shoes/boots are tough, I think. Sometimes the clothes are too snug, but dresses, skirts, etc are always fine.
    Kris

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A few suggestions:
    * Anything that fits an '18" doll' will fit hers. Google that, look on eBay, look on Amazon. TONS of accessories and clothes at much lower price points. Target randomly had great deals on their brand (Our Generation) as well. There is stuff on Etsy, but in my experience it's not very well priced.
    * Not sure how old your DD is... but from what I've heard most girls are always fine with the 'other brand' toys and accessories - but the hair on the AG dolls is so much better than any other brand at some point she will prefer a 'real' AG. You might want to start budgeting now for next year :/.
    * By far the best 'find' we've had is a booth at a local craft fair. If you have those around you, be on the lookout. Really cute outfits, with accessories, for around $15 each. Shoes fit, headbands fit, etc.

Good luck...

Also new to the doll stuff. Dd got a bunch for Christmas. How do you store it all? It's all so big! She got the OG horse and jeep w 2 OG dolls. I have a canopy bed and scooter for her bday in a few months. Where do you put it all?

Careful about shoes--MIL just bought DD's AG doll a bunch of shoes for Christmas from Toys R Us (Journey Girls brand), and they are a bear to get on the AG's feet. AG's feet are fairly wide at the toes. It was hard enough that DD (who's fairly uncoordinated, but nearly 11yo!) was unable to do it herself.

As for what to keep all the stuff in, DD has a fabric container (like for a Cubeical) for the small stuff. For the larger things (the Ikea bed, 3 salon chairs, wheelchair), they are all in one part of her bedroom, nicely displayed and available for play.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is on my dd bday list. I like that it is a backpack carrier.
    http://m.target.com/p/our-generation...s/-/A-14072278

The journey girls line from TRU does not fit most 18 inch dolls. Journey girls are thinner. There are forums for AG one is agplaythings.com.