Thread: Painful poops?

Default Painful poops?

Hi all! Our baby is now about 12 days old and the last few days at least he has been grunting for several minutes (5-10?) at random feedings throughout the night. I know baby's grunt when they're trying to poop, especially having to do it lying down, but it seems a little abnormal to me. I don't recall our first son doing this, and last night he woke every 1.5 hours during the last stint of the night because of this. I asked our pediatrician and he said it was likely something I ate the night before, but that whatever I eat usually affects the baby within a few hours, and this was not soon after I ate. I also haven't been able to pinpoint any particular food that I've been eating constantly if, in fact, that is the cause.

I have some gripe water (never tried it with my first born, but could now, if he's able to have it this early). The pediatrician also recommended warm compresses...does that mean a heating pad? I've also tried pushing his feet up a bit to try to help him go, gently rubbing his belly, and the thermometer trick. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Oh, and for background...he was born via c-section (not sure if that matters), I am breastfeeding (no supplementation), and he hasn't had any issues with spitting up since we left the hospital. Thanks!
    Last edited by AnimalBabe; 12-27-2014 at 07:08 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Does he really seem uncomfortable? Is he crying in distress? If not, I wouldn't go out of my way to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Does he really seem uncomfortable? Is he crying in distress? If not, I wouldn't go out of my way to fix it.
    He is crying and arching, not terribly bad though. Seems to last about 5 mins or so. He poops a ton, and is not constipated.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

One of mine did that ( I have 4 so I cant remember which one :P ) It was a phase for a short time then things kind of went normal. They had some gas issues too when he gets like that work his legs in a bicycle motion that seemed to help. As long as the poop isnt hard you should be ok.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions