Default Fudge failure / what to do with this giant pan of chocolate!

So, I attempted to make fudge over Christmas and it totally didn't work. This was the recipe I used: https://www.verybestbaking.com/recip...-famous-fudge/. I've never made it before and I'm not sure what I did wrong, other than I skipped the marshmallows and maybe that was the problem? I also didn't use nuts and sort of assumed the marshmallows, like nuts, were optional (I don't really like them and didn't have any on hand) but maybe they help it to set properly?

Anyway, I basically wound up with a pan of yummy chocolate goo. It's sugar, evaporated milk, butter and chocolate chips. In my freezer at the moment. What can I do with it, other than just eat it with a spoon? Would love some ideas.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes. Skipping the marshmallows was the problem unless you used fluff instead. You don't taste marshmallows after they are mixed in. You taste fudge .

I would make chocolate hot sauce with what you have and pour over ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, marshmallows provide the structure to make the fudge set up.

You could use the chocolate over ice cream, biscuits, pound cake, etc. you might even mx some into warm/ hot milk for hot chocolate.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

"What to do with the giant pan of chocolate" is the easiest question of 2015 so far. Eat it!!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Ahh... lesson learned about the marshmallows! For now, indeed, this is a lovely problem to have.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ooh, pouring it over ice cream sounds delicious!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use a fudge recipe that is just sweet condensed milk, semi-sweet chocolate chips, baking chocolate, and vanilla extract (nuts are optional, but I never add them). Easy and fast - and turns out perfect every time. It's an old WWII recipe (Soldier's Fudge) that ships well and uses no granulated sugar, since sugar was rationed at that time.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/gija...39S_FUDGE.html
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    I use a fudge recipe that is just sweet condensed milk, semi-sweet chocolate chips, baking chocolate, and vanilla extract (nuts are optional, but I never add them). Easy and fast - and turns out perfect every time. It's an old WWII recipe (Soldier's Fudge) that ships well and uses no granulated sugar, since sugar was rationed at that time.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/gija...39S_FUDGE.html
    This is similar to Giada DeLaurentis (sp?) recipe that I use. I have used marshmallow in my fudge and it always came out terrible-- no idea why. Also, the recipe I used calls for a double boiler to get ingredients to melt and just come together. Super easy.

Here's the recipe (I omitted the cinnamon) :
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ge-recipe.html

I learned to make fudge this Christmas. Marshmallows are not optional, but the nuts are. Even if you didn't skip the marshmallows, the fudge might not have set either since the directions say to cook for 4-5 minutes, which might not be enough time. Best to get a candy thermometer and make sure the correct temperature (usually around 235) is reached.

As for your dilemma, I'm no expert but couldn't you just heat up your mixture, boiling to 235, then continue with the recipe and add marshmallows, stir, and pour into pan?
    Mommy to DS 2007