Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to stay in Puerto Rico

We're going to take a brief trip (4 nights, 5 days) to PR in the spring. This isn't our first trip, and it won't be our last. DH is considering this a birthday trip for DD since DS (6) got a special birthday trip this year. I think that's ridiculous, because DD is turning THREE and doesn't need a birthday trip, but I'm not turning down a vacation!

We intend to do El Yunque, the Bio bay at Fajardo, and El Morro/Old San Juan. I'd like to spend all our free time on the beach, preferably in the ocean! Last time we did that itinerary, we stayed in a condo near Luquillo Beach. This time DH wants to stay in a beach hotel for ease of access to the beach and quick and easy restaurant/room service. He's hoping for something clean and with good ocean views. Charm is less important on this trip. He's thinking Isla Verde or Condado. I'm wondering whether somewhere like Rio Del Mar near El Yunque might be better. We do want to have good ocean swimming with the little ones if possible. Any suggestions as to area to stay or particular hotel?

In Isla Verde we're thinking the Intercontinental or Courtyard by Marriott. We've heard the Ritz is not worth the higher prices.

In Condado maybe the Marriott?

I'd love to stay in La Terraza or El Convento, which are the types of smaller, charming hotels we usually choose, but they're not convenient to the beach, are they?

Outside of San Juan, I'm at a loss. We have friends who loved the El Conquistador, but that's really a resort, and we plan to do a bit of traveling about.

I'd really appreciate some wise BBB input!

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you want a calm swimmable beach for the kids, I would not do the Marriott. The Condado beach tends to be wavy and not safe for kids to go in on their own. The Caribe Hilton has a nice calm beach and is convenient to both Old San Juan and Condado. I have not been there in ages, but know that the area around it has been recently developed. The Isla Verde beach near the Intercontinental is also nice, but I have no experience with that hotel or the Courtyard. The Ritz used to be pretty nice, but it has been around for a while, so I wonder if it may be in need of an update, hence the comments that it is not worth the price.

La Terraza and El Convento are both in Old San Juan, so they are not convenient to the beach at all. Outside of San Juan there are two newer hotels that everyone raves about, The Ritz at Dorado Beach and the St. Regis at Bahia Beach. They are both resort style hotels, though. I think you could stay at El Conquistador and still easily do the activities that you mentioned. Both El Yunque and the Bio Bay are in the area, so only the Old San Juan day trip would be far, and as long as you avoid rush hour you should be able to get there easily.

The Copamarina Beach Resort, a small hotel in the Southern part of the island is very nice. It does not have a great beach (very shallow water right by the hotel), but it has a nice public beach next door and also a boat that takes you to a small cay. It is fairly removed from San Juan, though.

Thanks! We'll avoid Condado. I'll look into the Caribe Hilton and look again at El Conquistador. Have you stayed there? I heard the beach is not right at the hotel, and you have to take a boat to get there. That sounds like it would be a PITA with little kids. I'd want a beach hotel to be able to get from the beach to our room and back super easily.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I recently rented a house in Fajardo that was right across the street from seven seas beach. Super convenient with the kiddo and very close to the biobay and rainforest. Our place was down the street from the El Conquistador. I think next time we'll get a place in Luquillo because that was our favorite beach. We did a half day in old San Juan and went to El Morro which was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

I have stayed at El Conquistador pre kids. The hotel itself does not have a beach. You have take a boat to Palomino Island. The island has a great beach, though. It is a gorgeous place. I believe there have been previous threads about this, and people have not minded taking the boat.

If your youngest still naps that might be a PITA, though.

There is a Wyndham in Rio Mar. I have never stayed there, though, so can't really recommend it. There are also nice villas in Rio Mar, and you could probably rent one and still have proximity to a hotel (although some are far).

Another option is Palmas del Mar in Humacao. They have a small hotel and villas. However it is a huge property, so you might not feel like you are in the thick of things.

We LOVED Luquillo Beach, but our condo was very disappointing, and that's why DH wants a hotel this time. I'm thinking we will stay in Isla Verde. I don't like the idea of needing to travel to the beach in any location. If we were going just to stay in the resort, I might do El Conquistador, but this is a short trip. We need to fit the beach in, so I think being in a hotel that's right on the beach would be ideal.

Has anyone stayed in a beach hotel in Isla Verde (or another calm swimming beach in that northwest area) and care to make a recommendation?

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We stayed at the Hyatt Dorado Beach on our honeymoon in 1999. It was lovely. I heard that the resort closed a few years after we stayed there. I was looking around and I think this may be the same property, now updated and run by Ritz Carlton. I don't know if it is in a location that would work for you, but we enjoyed staying there and the beach was amazing... perfect for families/children.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...8&pid=rccorpta

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    We stayed at the Hyatt Dorado Beach on our honeymoon in 1999. It was lovely. I heard that the resort closed a few years after we stayed there. I was looking around and I think this may be the same property, now updated and run by Ritz Carlton. I don't know if it is in a location that would work for you, but we enjoyed staying there and the beach was amazing... perfect for families/children.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...8&pid=rccorpta
    That is the Dorado Beach resort. I hear it is amazing.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    That is the Dorado Beach resort. I hear it is amazing.
    Happy to hear it has been revived. We only stayed a couple of nights after a cruise that left from PR. We wished that we had booked a whole week!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd take my kids to El Conquistador and travel from there. I grew up there and that is my favorite part of the island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast