Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My trunk is frozen shut!!!!

We had a fluke warm-up yesterday, and it was raining a good part of the morning. Then the temperature started to plummet, and it's way below freezing this morning. The trunk of my Toyota Corrolla is now FROZEN shut- I cannot get it open, and of course all of my work materials (I'm an SLP) are in my trunk. We have no garage or anywhere to go to warm up the exterior of the car. This is a BP, but also, any suggestions for getting it open?!!! Temps are supposed to be freezing cold the next few days, and I NEED the stuff in my trunk! Windows are also frozen shut, but not as big of a deal.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Can you get into the trunk from within the car if the back seat folds open (don't know if it does on the Corolla)?

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know how annoying that is. It usually happens with my mini van, I have automatic doors at the pack that constantly freeze when temperatures dip. Can you let the car run and warm it up? It usually works with mine, of course I have to keep tugging at it too.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post
    Can you get into the trunk from within the car if the back seat folds open (don't know if it does on the Corolla)?
    I could get into the trunk from the inside, but I'm in and out of the trunk all day (I work at multiple sites), and it would involve un-installing and re-installing 2 convertible car seats each time. Not so easy, especially when it's way below freezing outside! I guess I could do it once and get all the stuff out, but then I'd have no place to put it all when I'm driving around (it's a lot of stuff).

Although, that just gave me an idea. If I can't get it open by tonight, maybe I'll take the car seats out, fold down the seats, and let the car run to circulate the warm air into the trunk for a while.

Ah, the joys of living in a frigid climate!!
    Last edited by mm123; 01-05-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I know how annoying that is. It usually happens with my mini van, I have automatic doors at the pack that constantly freeze when temperatures dip. Can you let the car run and warm it up? It usually works with mine, of course I have to keep tugging at it too.
    I've let the car run for a while. Unfortunately, the heat doesn't seem to reach the outside seal, which is frozen shut. Ugh.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hair dryer!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    Hair dryer!
    Thanks for the idea! Where would I plug it in? Maybe I could see if my neighbours have an extra long extension cord I could borrow.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Do you have one of those spray water bottles? Maybe put some hot tap water in there and spray it along the outside edges of the trunk?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Run it through a car wash, get it unstuck, and then dry off the seal very well before closing again. Call your regular car repair place and ask if they can let you bring it into an empty bay.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you do get it unstuck, be sure to oil the seals with a neutral olive or vegetable oil so that they do not refreeze. I find the best method is to put some oil in a bowl and then use a paper towel or half inch paintbrush to apply to both sides of the seal. This also works on door and window seals (ask me how I know . . . ).
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast