Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Hypothetical:
    Suppose your family is vaccinated against measles and you live next door to confirmed measles cases, would you be worried (for the health of your family)?
    I wouldn't be especially worried. My family is generally healthy and were all vaccinated. I'd definitely step up basic health stuff like hand washing, eating well and wouldn't deliberately cone in contact with the neighbors but I wouldn't be especially anxious about it. On the other hand I would worry if I had an unvaccinated infant or a family member with relevant health issues.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Hypothetical:
    Suppose your family is vaccinated against measles and you live next door to confirmed measles cases, would you be worried (for the health of your family)?
    No. I would not worry. "Next door" is 100 yds away.

Now, if I lived in a crowded apartment building with a common ventilation system? That might cause me some pause.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I wouldn't be especially worried. My family is generally healthy and were all vaccinated. I'd definitely step up basic health stuff like hand washing, eating well and wouldn't deliberately cone in contact with the neighbors but I wouldn't be especially anxious about it. On the other hand I would worry if I had an unvaccinated infant or a family member with relevant health issues.

I was just asking my dad about this (he's an MD), and he said it should be fine presuming your vaccines worked.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Originally Posted by mackmama
    Hypothetical:
    Not worried. My 2yo hasn't had the MMR yet and honestly it seems more risky for me to take him into the ped's office to get one right now then I am worried about him catching measles or mumps. We have never gone to that place 'well' and stayed 'well' afterwards except when DS1 was a baby.
    My friend just panicked with all the stories (although no cases in our state even), and rushed her 13 month old in to get the MMR. They ended up waiting for 45 minutes in the waiting room, which is not separated into sick and well sides and they don't do separate "sick" and "well" times. Heck, I don't even think they use different exam rooms for sick vs. well kids. I won't be surprised if they end up sick in a few days. (I would switch peds but most recs I get are for are practice already. And they are moving offices and hospital affiliations in March so I am hoping it will get better.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Thought this piece by Roald Dahl uring people to vaccinate was worth re-posting. His daughter died of measles at the age of 7.

http://io9.com/read-roald-dahls-hear...2/+kevindraper

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for posting that Westwood. My dd just read (and absolutely loved) Charlie and the ChocolateFactory, James and the Gisnt Oeach, and Matilda this fall, and then just read Who Was Roald Dauhl last week and mentioned that his daughter had died. I have a very good friend who is vacillating on whether to vaccinate her 9 month old dd on time - we are in a state where there haven't been any confirmed cases yet. I am going to send this to her.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22