Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hawaii or Puerto Rico?

We have decided to do a warm, relaxing vacation for our 10th anniversary. Neither of us has a passport, so our destination has to be US Territory. We have narrowed down our choices to Hawaii (probably Kauai because of all of the recommendations in previous threads on the BBB) or PR. I actually hadn't considered Puerto Rico until yesterday when one of DH's co-workers mentioned how cheap airfare is. I know nothing about either place, and don't know what to consider when making a decision. At this point i think we are leaning towards Puerto Rico simply based on costs. Both airfare and hotel costs are significantly cheaper than Hawaii, but I don't want to rely on costs alone if there are some serious factors that would make hawaii a better option. Costco has great packages for both Hawaii and PR, so we will probably go with Costco travel. I would greatly appreciate any insight, especially if you have been to both places.

Having been to both, there is no place like Hawaii. PR is more of a long weekend getaway type of place to me. Hawaii is for a real all out vacation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawaii, hands down!

Thanks! I have to admit i was a little disappointed last night when he mentioned Puerto Rico. I really had my heart set on Hawaii.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't been to PR, but I have been to several Caribbean islands. IMHO Hawaii is truly paradise on earth and would be my #1 choice for vacation. We went to Maui for our honeymoon 12 years ago and hopefully will be back for our 15th anniversary. If you have the time (if you live the east coast the travel time and time change make a longer vacation necessary), go for Hawaii!

FWIW, I've been to both and if you live on the east coast, I would strongly consider Puerto Rico. Look at Culebra and Vieques if you want more of a small island feel. Hawaii is beautiful but the travel time from the east coast eats up a lot of vacation time. If you are looking for a tropical island you can't go wrong with the Caribbean. There are many AMAZING islands that easily compare to Hawaii (and again if you are on the east coast they are super close!)
    Last edited by vtmom; 01-08-2015 at 10:17 PM.

I live in south central Texas.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Kauai is heavenly. What month are you planning to go? Where to go in Kauai will depend on the month (north better in the summer, south in winter).

for Sandy Hook

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vtmom View Post
    FWIW, I've been to both and if you live on the east coast, I would strongly consider Puerto Rico. Look at Culebra and Vieques if you want more of a small island feel. Hawaii is beautiful but the travel time from the east coast eats up a lot of vacation time. If you are looking for a tropical island you can't go wrong with the Caribbean. There are many AMAZING islands that easily compare to Hawaii (and again if you are on the east coast they are super close!)
    I agree. OP, if you are on the east coast, PR will be a LOT cheaper and a lot closer. DH grew up in PR, and pre-kids we traveled several times to Vieques and have traveled multiple times to the main island; I'd second the rec for either Vieques or Culebra. If you're in the middle of the US and about an equal distance to either the Caribbean or Hawaii, go for Hawaii! (Been to Hawaii once, for our honeymoon, where we spent time on Kauai and the Big Island with one night in Maui, and been to PR various times as well as to other places in the Caribbean). If cost and time traveling were no consideration for a future trip and I had to choose between the two, I would pick Hawaii.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Kauai is heavenly. What month are you planning to go? Where to go in Kauai will depend on the month (north better in the summer, south in winter).
    Mid to late june or early july.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast