Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default This is going to drive me crazy! Any BTDT or ideas?

Ahh -- help! For the past week, every evening within an hour of dinner, I start to feel like I have to urinate -- but then can't get rid of the feeling. I'll go to the bathroom, empty out completely, but literally by the time I'm walking out of the bathroom I feel like I need to go again. It's very uncomfortable and very obnoxious.

I would be suspicious of a UTI, but the weird thing is that it ONLY happens at night! I wake up in the morning and feel fine. I feel fine all day. It's only in the evenings that this starts to happen. Usually once I lay down for bed at night the feeling goes away, then doesn't come back until the next evening. I don't have any other UTI symptoms either (no burning, urine doesn't look/smell weird, etc.) and if it was a UTI I figure it wouldn't just appear at night. It also hasn't gotten worse over the course of the past week.

I'm only 14 weeks, so I feel like I should be past that "pregnancy hormones making you need to pee" and not yet at that "baby is so big it's sitting on your bladder" stage -- but I'm going crazy!!

I know someone will suggest calling my OB, but I'm seen in a military medical clinic where it's hard to get messages to an OB (and you don't really get one assigned it seems) and the triage nurses don't really give any info other than to suggest you go in to a walk-in triage clinic (where you wait hours to be seen)....so I'm hoping someone here has advice or thoughts or at least commiserate that it happened to them too because it's driving me nuts!
    Lizi

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I had this the recommendation was to drink a lot more water. It seems counterintuitive but sometimes that need to pee feeling means your body is dehydrated. Even if you're already drinking a lot, drink more. HTH!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Thank you! It does seem totally counterintuitive but I do know I get busy and forget to drink water sometimes. I made a really concerted effort to drink, drink, drink (water!) on Friday....and no discomfort at night!!! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Lizi

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Right around 12 wks with ds3 I couldn't pee. It turned out he was sitting right at the right spot to pinch off my tube and I had to wear a Foley catheter... Not fun. The leg bag is a joke and I will forever feel badly for anyone stuck walking around with a Foley.

My Ob wasn't sure how long I'd have to wear it, he said it could be a wk or a month, but this tends to happen in the transition bten first to second trimester. This was the largest on practice at the time in our area and hr told me that this only happened about once every five yrs at their practice... So it's not common. By the second day, I noticed the catheter was leaking... The nurses who inserted it didn't fill up the balloon all the way that holds it in. I knew immediately, and luckily since I'm a rn, I had asked them for a 10cc syringe so when the time came, I could discontinue it myself. Anyway, I talked my Ob into letting my discontinue it at home and if I couldn't pee I'd have to go back to the hospital to get another one... But luckily things started working again and I was OK for the rest of the pregnancy.

This is the same pregnancy where I swore I had a uti and was pg... Went to urgent care, BC my Ob was oot, the NP ran a pg test in me that was neg and also a uti test was neg... A wk later I finally got a positive hpt. It sounds like maybe you're having a similar pregnancy. I get uti a lot while pregnant, so that was my first tip off... But it was weird that my tests for the uti and hpt both came back negative.

Call your Ob.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yes, try to drink lots more...especially in afternoon. IME, concentrated urine can really irritate the urethra, which can feel like the urge to go.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

hellokitty -- very interesting. I'd heard of what you described before, and did wonder about it, but I thought it must be way too early for there to be a chance of that -- baby still seems so small! I guess not...
    Lizi

My MIL had that problem (when not pregnant - obviously - she's 72) a couple of months ago when we were all in Arizona for a wedding. It only happened after about 9:00 at night and she was fine in the morning. She called her doctor at home who said she was dehydrated and she needed to keep a bottle of water at her side and drink it all day long. She drank more, and the problem went away. Hopefully it's that easy for you too.