Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Getting child to poop on potty

We did the bare butt method with The Biscuit over Thanksgiving and that has worked great for peeing during the day (we do still let him use a diaper at naps and night). He has only had one accident in the last three weeks, so I figure we are doing well there.

However, he refuses to poop in the potty at school or at home, although he has done it for one of our babysitters (go figure). The Biscuit knows when he needs to poop, demands a diaper, does his business, and then goes back into the underpants.

He claims that starting Sunday he will poop on the potty. We have no idea how he came up with that one, but needless to say, we are skeptical.

Any BTDT or suggestions? We really feel we need to get him over the "poop" hump before we phase out nap diapers and then go to night training.

Thanks!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Honestly, I would wait until he's ready and/or try bribery, if you haven't already. (Maybe poops on the potty 5x= a toy from Target, or something.)

When I worked in daycare, we had some kids that ended up with MAJOR constipation issues and subsequent medical problems from withholding bowel movements because they were afraid to poop on the potty but their parents pushed forward with potty training anyway. (Not that it's always the case when there are issues but with the couple of kids that I know that had issues, it was the case.)

My friend has an 8/11 baby who is nowhere close to being poop potty trained yet either, and he's been going to preschool for 2 years now. A lot of kids don't night-train until 4+. My DS1 is totally PT'd while he is awake but wets at night maybe 1 out of 10 days.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

That's pretty typical. I wouldn't pressure him. You can try bribery, but never withhold a diaper or make him feel bad about not using the potty, as you can create major constipation issues. DD was pee trained for 1.5 years before pooping on the potty. With DS it was "only" a 6 month lag. Eventually it will happen. So long as he asks for a diaper and doesn't poop in his pants, I would not pressure him. It will happen eventually.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If Sunday rolls around and he wants to try it, I'd certainly let him. I know someone whose daughter said she would start pooping in the potty once she turned 4, and that's exactly what she did. If he doesn't start using the toilet to poop, you can always put him back in a diaper.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hijacking: dd goes potty on the potty just fine. We started a week ago, and she is to the point where she will tell me if she has to pee. Poop, though, she goes in her pull up if wearing or her underwear. If I put her in a diaper, she will pee in it, and I don't want to lose that progress, but I am SICK of cleaning up poop! Any suggestions?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    Hijacking: dd goes potty on the potty just fine. We started a week ago, and she is to the point where she will tell me if she has to pee. Poop, though, she goes in her pull up if wearing or her underwear. If I put her in a diaper, she will pee in it, and I don't want to lose that progress, but I am SICK of cleaning up poop! Any suggestions?
    What happens if you don't put her in underwear? We used a potty training method that has the kids go commando with just pants for about a month before you introduce undies. The idea is that underpants feel too much like a diaper to some kids and the feeling of pee or poop down your legs is really uncomfortable and a natural deterrant compared to the slow drip of undies. (Gross, I know!)

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What worked with DS for poop training was giving him a very simple potty (got it at Ikea). I would let him watch TV with it. It worked well, but there came a point after he got the hang of it, that I had to take it away because he was already pee trained, and he would use it because he was just too lazy to go to the bathroom.
    DS 6/09

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I tried having her go commando at first, but she just peed and pooped on the floor. Maybe since she knows better than to pee on the floor now, we'll see if it works with pooping. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have a little bjorn potty seat, so I will try that, too! Thanks, catsnkid!

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Update: IT HAS HAPPENED. We hid all of the pull-ups except for four and told The Biscuit that when they were gone, he was going to have to poop in the potty. AND THEY ARE. AND HE HAS. For the last week!

WOO HOO!

Now to return that last box of Pull-ups that we hid . . .

And now, night training tips welcome!!!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Awesome job! I don't think you can really train for the night. We told my DD that there were no more pull ups and she was dry after that but I knew she was peeing while awake and was too lazy to go to the bathroom.