Default DVC Point Rental and Travel Insurance

Planning a Disney World trip in December and unsuccessfully tried to rent through Dave's and DVCrental store. BLT has availability but they do not have any members with points to book the reservation.

I did find a DVC owner through mouseowners with points to make the reservation. I have the contract and will get references but I also want to get travel insurance given it is almost a year away. Is this possible with a person to person rental? Never had purchased insurance direct..

Anything else I need to be aware of going person to person? I realize it is no different that renting VRBO but want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything relevant with respect to Disney.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Planning a Disney World trip in December and unsuccessfully tried to rent through Dave's and DVCrental store. BLT has availability but they do not have any members with points to book the reservation.

I did find a DVC owner through mouseowners with points to make the reservation. I have the contract and will get references but I also want to get travel insurance given it is almost a year away. Is this possible with a person to person rental? Never had purchased insurance direct..

Anything else I need to be aware of going person to person? I realize it is no different that renting VRBO but want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything relevant with respect to Disney.
    We rented through a local lady that runs her own "points rental" business. She has owners that she rents points out for. The only other thing to think about is that you have to go through the person for contact with Disney for just about everything. It didn't really bother me. We need a full size crib and called and they told us we could call to reserve on our own at 10 days out of the owner could do it at booking. We were already booked so we'll just call at 10 days out and hope they have one. I'm not help with travel insurance. We didn't get any and are just hoping for the best! I wonder if your credit card travel insurance would work if you pay with that? I thought about it for our trip but didn't want to pay the extra for using paypal.

We went through David's and did not get travel insurance. We were able to get a one bedroom w/foldout couch/2 bathrooms at BLT about 7 months out (for November). That was plenty of room for 2 adults, 2 kids. We wanted a two bedroom, but they were all booked. My parents booked the same size place directly at Disney, costs quite a bit more but I would imagine that's easier to insure. David's also offers trip insurance, perhaps that policy would cover what you are contemplating.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

To rent now requires a DVC owner whose home resort is BLT. At 7 months out, any DVC owner can book at BLT regardless of home resort. That's proabbly why you are having trouble. BLT is a very popular property.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We rented DVC points a couple of years ago. We did get travel insurance since there are no refunds with renting points and we didn't want to lose all our money if someone was sick or something else came up to prevent us from going. It was no problem to get the insurance (we used Travelguard). We never had to use it, but as long as you have the documentation/contract showing the reservation was made in your name and that you paid for, it shouldn't be a problem.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13