Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Best site for buying airline tickets to ITALY?

Suddenly need to price airfare to Italy - we have not traveled abroad in more than 12 years, so we are out of practice!!

What websites do you recommend? I'm shocked at both the range of sites and the cost of flights.

Thank you for any help!
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

Kayak is a good place to start. It is very expensive to fly to Italy during the summer. I have a few kayak flight alerts programmed and will buy our tickets when if it drops a bit and it usually does about three months before summer (at least when we've stalked it). Ciao!!

Hi, I just registered for BabyBargains and this is my very first post. I second Hanna's suggestion to check out Kayak, this is where I always start first. A couple other suggestions - Orbitz has a cash rewards program called Orbucks. It is free to sign up for and gives you 1% rewards on flights / 5% on hotels. Let's say you spend $2000 (gulp) on Italy plane tickets, you'll earn $20 that you can use right away on your Italy hotel reservation! A lot of times, all the major travel websites will have the exact same pricing for air tickets and rarely offer coupons on airlines, so Orbitz ends up being a little cheaper... but only if you are going to make a 2nd reservation on Orbitz. Some airlines say that that the lowest fares are on their own website, 95% of the time I find their fares the same as elsewhere, but there is that 5% of the time when they have a lower fare not listed on Kayak. Last suggestion is if you have a Citi credit card that earns you Thank You Points, you can redeem those points for travel. My recollection is that you do not need to have enough TYP to cover a whole ticket, you can make up the difference paying with credit card. One caveat is that I've noticed that oftentimes the fares on the Citi Thank You website are a little higher than regular travel websites. It may still be worth it to you if you have a bunch of TYP and the price difference is marginal. HTH!