Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ccather is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Another "I know this is the BP but feel free to ignore"...

We switched to a Fun Run based fundraiser and I LOVE it! I hate pimping expensive wrapping paper, cookies, random other over priced crap.....I'm super thankful that we have an actual *activity* and the kids actually participate in it! (versus mom or dad leaving a catalogue on the the lunchroom table.)

Back to the OP...our kids do the best they can and I also tell my kids to not expect prizes or what not. They run otherwise (track & 5Ks) so they are used to doing their best and having that be enough.

It could be worse, you could have crap to sell to reach those Prize levels" but have no one to sell to or have it be such crappy crap that no one wants to buy it!

(When our school switched to the fun run, our fundraising went through the roof! It's hugely successful!)
    Chris.
    --
    DS 10/03
    DD 6/05
    DD 11/07

I feel your pain OP.
    Can I also add that we are another family that writes a big check at the beginning of the year, but then we feel hounded for the rest of the year by all the requests going out, special events we're invited to, etc. I know these are geared toward the folk who have not donated yet, but it makes me feel awful to be pressured to show up a "Donor coffee" because they want 100% attendance, and then again being judged for not handing over a check at the event. I ALREADY WROTE YOU A BIG CHECK!!! The whole point of donating early is not to feel pressured throughout the year, and they've effectively ruined that too.
    Sorry, don't mean to hijack.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

People use a program to organize these things? It seems like such a simple fundraiser to execute in house and thus keep all the money. What's needed? Someone to organize day of, someone to track $ as it's received, a form to get donations- am I missing something?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

the school we are at this year did this If I LIKED the school maybe since I have issue with the admins and we will be moving at the end of the school year Umm nope I told my oldest if he wanted any prize on the list let me know we'd go buy it for WAY less than the pledge amount. Oh and well will NOT be attending the "Gala"
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We had a fun run. It was one mile and kids could run or walk. All kids got a t-shirt and parents could come. There were several fun stations where kids could take a break...bubbles, side walk chalk, water, dance party, etc. kids could earn extra prizes with bigger donations, but that wasn't handed out at the run. Local employers had donation matchubg. It was way better than selling crap.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I know the is the BP, so feel free to ignore......

When my school has the kinders do the jog a thon, the kids start out running, but most run all out for a lap or two and then walk, skip, dawdle, etc. when they are told they only have a few minutes left, then they tend to run the last lap. My school has done this for years, and I've never seen any kinders run the entire time. Most are just excited to be out there. Also we don't get many parents at ours. Too many work during the day to attend. My school doesn't really give much out in the way of prizes, but I bring Popsicles for my class to have afterwards as a reward for doing their best. I always stress to them they are going out to have fun and get some exercise, not about winning.
    Yep, this is ours too! I went because I volunteered to mark laps on the shirts. Not many more parents there except volunteers. Kids did have fun running. You'd be surprised at how many laps a Kindergartner can run though. Especially when the teacher started marking the slower kids two or three laps extra per lap! Miraculously, at the end, everyone had run the goal.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    People use a program to organize these things? It seems like such a simple fundraiser to execute in house and thus keep all the money. What's needed? Someone to organize day of, someone to track $ as it's received, a form to get donations- am I missing something?
    Our school used an organization the first year. They take a huge cut and the school got a ton of complaints. Since then it's been run by the PTA for free and it's much better.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I have to ask, is this Booster-thon? I HATE them with the heat of a 1000 fiery suns.

They are so awful with the prizes, and the in-class booster sessions, AND they take a HUGE percentage of the money. If it's them, I wouldn't give a dime and would even consider pulling my kids from school on that day. Our school used them one year and there was such a hue and cry from the parents about the lost class time, kids upset kids about the prizes and being made to feel like they did not have enough pledges, and then on top they took such a large cut, we barely made any money. They next year they did one themselves. It was still a pain, but much better.
    Me too! Not sure if it has spread nationwide, or is just in our region. They take half the money and spend a week telling the kids that they need to call friends and family and beg for money. The PTA tried to hide how much money these folks collect which just makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Goggle Boosterthon, it is truly mind boggling.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So this is a Fun Run. I actually feel a lot better about it now after reading through replies. I sent the girls' teachers an email just to remind them that our kids are going to get tired/achy very quickly because of the bone condition, so to let them rest when necessary. They've already replied back "of course!" and noted that the girls are such troopers when it comes to this. I told the girls that it will be for fun, to get exercise, and to try their best (they aren't aware of their medical condition causing any limitations even though it does cause some physical limitation). I did not pledge any money and made myself not feel guilty about it since we have already donated for the year. And my mom is going to go cheer them on.

win-win! Thanks for listening!!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-14-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast