MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Old man winter...I hate you!

We are going to Disney in less than 2 weeks. Mind you, it's been FREEZING here but not much snow. I just checked the extended forecast and we are supposed to get 5-8 inches the day we drive to the airport 2 hrs away, not to mention the 4-6 inches the night before that. Our flight is early the next morning and I'm now terrified that a) we won't get to the airport (guess we have all night though ) or b) the weather forecast will shift a day back and we won't even get out of the airport! I hate winter and just knew this was going to happen!! No snow in the forecast at all until then. I'm really hoping it all shifts a day up or something!

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

IME, the extended forecast is NEVER accurate. Here's some mojo that the weather does not effect your travel plans!!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

ACK! While I don't trust an extended forecast, I still watch/listen to them and pay attention to them! And I can totally understand the worry--we've been stuck in tons of fog lately, and, while I know it will lift, I have a flight out in just 3 weeks, and I'm scared that the weather will affect the flight somehow!

Good luck!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would not put too much stock in the extended forecast. However, I will say that we got hit with a storm the night before we were leaving for our Disney trip last February. Once they started talking about the timing and expected totals, we got nervous, as it wasn't really predicted to be bad initially. Our drive to the airport on a normal day is a little under an hr, but our flight time was such that we'd be battling horrendous rush hr traffic on a normal day. We knew there would be accidents and so forth, as that's a given in our area with this particular drive even when it is just rain. We live in an area with nasty rush hr drives to the city. In the end, we opted to stay at a hotel at the airport the night before. That might be something to consider. It was kind of a pain as we had to pack a different bag at the last minute specifically for that purpose because I didn't want to mess with what we packed and how it was packed for our trip.

About an hr into our arrival at the hotel, we got a call that our flight was canceled for the next morning. Not cool. DH is a fairly frequent flier and we have an airline miles card, so they bumped us to the next available flight the next morning, and it wasn't much of a delay really. We ended up sitting on the runway for maybe 1.5-2 hrs, which was kind of rough (we were waiting to be de-iced). In the end, our arrival was only mildly delayed all things considered. Staying over and taking the hotel shuttle was a big stress reliever, so if it starts looking like it will be rough, that's something to consider. I wish you the best. It will work out Just plan on being flexible on that first day and know you may not do whatever you had planned. The rest of your trip will be magical
    Last edited by brittone2; 01-15-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're in a very similar situation - are you flying out of Detroit? I'm not going to sweat it. It will work out somehow. And, the extended forecast is more or less useless, IMO.

If it makes you feel better--book a cheap hotel near the airport for the night before your flight. Planes can take off with snow. Roads could be iffy though.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."