DD's are starting grade 1 next year (wow! time flies! when did my babies grow up?!?!). They have been in the same class up until now. DH and I have agreed that separating is best for next year and that's generally what the schools push anyways. Right now, they are pretty attached in preschool and the teacher says their preference is always to play together unless she requires them to be in separate groups. I know the separating will be hard for them but at this point they really need to branch out and have friendships beyond each other and learn to communicate with the teacher. Anyone else go through this with their twins? How did they handle it?

My plan is not to tell them about being in separate classes until right before school because otherwise they will obsess over it and drive me crazy. Anyways, we won't know class lists for a long time so I can't even tell them which friends they will be with. Although, I do have a meeting with the school scheduled and they have told me I can request up to 3 kids to be with each of mine and they will honour that. The school has 4 grade 1 classes this year and will likely be the same next year. I have started putting the idea in their heads that it is out of my control and they might not be together but that's about it. School registration for next year starts shortly and the elementary schools have all started coordinating orientation and integration sessions with the preschools so that's why the topic came up.
When did you tell your kids and how did that go?