Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinder reg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Kinder reg

We registered DD1 for kinder, and during the registration had to make an appointment for some state-required skills assessment in June. All of the appointments are in the middle of the day! When I said to the secretary to the principal (who was doing the registration) "You don't make this easy for full-time working parents," she replied "Anyone can bring her, it doesn't have to be you." Sure, lady. But she'll be in camp full time in June, DH and I work, and that means we have to find someone else to bring her, take her out of at least part of a day of camp, and then get her back to camp or keep her busy the rest of the day. So you still don't make it easy!

GRR.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel your pain. Our registration/testing is on mondays only. I can't take that day off from work, it's a nightmare to even try. I have gotten around this by talking to the principal. Turns out we don't have to go, it just helps them determine if the child may need extra services (speech, child may possibly have a learning delay etc). My kids go to preschool where they get screened for those things. I was able to get out of taking my DS for those reasons.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thats how it was for my kid's Kindergarten registration also. We had a 2 hour appointment, but you just had to drop your kid off and come back 2 hours later. They take the kids to a classroom and do an assessment I think. Alot of it was used to correctly distribute the kids into the 4-5 Kindergarten classes. They want to make sure each class is equal and they dont have all the kids who might have special needs into one room. At least that was my take on it!

I still needed to have the morning off though! Would be nice if they did it after school. But I guess the teachers wouldnt want to extend their day! (i think they should take one for the team!)
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Thats how it was for my kid's Kindergarten registration also. We had a 2 hour appointment, but you just had to drop your kid off and come back 2 hours later. They take the kids to a classroom and do an assessment I think. Alot of it was used to correctly distribute the kids into the 4-5 Kindergarten classes. They want to make sure each class is equal and they dont have all the kids who might have special needs into one room. At least that was my take on it!

I still needed to have the morning off though! Would be nice if they did it after school. But I guess the teachers wouldnt want to extend their day! (i think they should take one for the team!)
    ...We had NO assessment before Kindergarten. We went in and showed information that we lived in the school area and filled out a form with what our kid is capable of/what we wanted the school to know. And that's it.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That's going to be how things go for lots of things. Conferences... Our school has a few early AM slots for conferences but otherwise it is usually a juggling act. And some schools, like mine, have snow days, early dismissals, 2 hour delay days... plus occasional presentations mid day. Just a warning. It's probably the only good thing about not having a job for me right now- the ability to make all of that stuff work!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Same issue here. Kindie screening in late May or early June. DH is a teacher so he can't very well take time off from his own class so it ends up being me doing it. Did it for DD1 and will be doing it in a few months for DD2.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's going to be how things go for lots of things. Conferences... Our school has a few early AM slots for conferences but otherwise it is usually a juggling act. And some schools, like mine, have snow days, early dismissals, 2 hour delay days... plus occasional presentations mid day. Just a warning. It's probably the only good thing about not having a job for me right now- the ability to make all of that stuff work!
    My thoughts exactly, this is just the beginning. School is much harder to balance than daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, this is just the beginning. School is much harder to balance than daycare.
    Ugh. I know it will be this way. It just annoys the heck out of me. Can't they at least try to have SOME of the things in the evenings or at least late afternoons? Balance it out a bit? At least we have full-day K. One of the reasons we moved to this district.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Ugh. I know it will be this way. It just annoys the heck out of me. Can't they at least try to have SOME of the things in the evenings or at least late afternoons? Balance it out a bit? At least we have full-day K. One of the reasons we moved to this district.
    My sister's school (she teaches second grade - in a wacky district) tried this for conferences one time a couple of years ago. They cancelled morning classes that day so that the teachers didn't have to work extra hours. This didn't work out so well for the student's families either - they changed back to the regular schedule for the next set of conferences.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    My sister's school (she teaches second grade - in a wacky district) tried this for conferences one time a couple of years ago. They cancelled morning classes that day so that the teachers didn't have to work extra hours. This didn't work out so well for the student's families either - they changed back to the regular schedule for the next set of conferences.
    What I don't understand is why they can't have regular class schedule during the day and conferences after school and in the evenings. That's how it worked when I was a kid. And my mom, who was a teacher, had to go back in the evenings to hold parent-teacher conferences.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast