Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Kinder reg

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    They truly can't win. I am a SAHM. Our K registration is from 1-7 on a Thursday. You can come anytime during that window and it takes about 30-45 minutes. Except my 5YO who will be entering K goes to preschool from 12:30-3:30 every day. And my older kids have activities on Thursdays at 4:00, 4:30 and 6:00. I have to call in carpooling favors or have my youngest miss preschool.
    Does the 5 yo have to come? Ours is just a matter of forms and proof of residency. I didn't bring any of the kids with me.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Does the 5 yo have to come? Ours is just a matter of forms and proof of residency. I didn't bring any of the kids with me.
    Not required for the kids, but they have activities for the students. This is the only time an incoming K student gets to see the classroom until the day before school starts in August. My older ones really remembered it over the summer before starting school.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My district requires the student be present at registration. We do a meet and greet about a week prior to school, but that is optional. We don't do any testing prior to kinder, despite all of us kinder teachers begging for it and willing to come in on our own time to do it, as it would make things so much easier in the long run. As it is, almost half of our students register the first day of school. I typically have 12 kids on my roster the morning of the first day and then have 24 by the next day!

As for school events, only Back to School night is at night. Everything else is daytime hours. For conferences kids get done at 1, and then we do conferences from 1-3:30 for a week (twice per year). Some teachers have a slot or two right before school starts in the morning. Our big daytime events are the Winter Program, Kindergarten culmination, and 5th Grade graduation. We have some other smaller events throughout the year, but realize many parents won't feel able to attend.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Not required for the kids, but they have activities for the students. This is the only time an incoming K student gets to see the classroom until the day before school starts in August. My older ones really remembered it over the summer before starting school.
    Then, I'd pick up early from preschool and take him. By the time my youngest went to kindergarten, he could fully navigate the elementary just from being there so many times for the older kids! But, for kids who don't know the school, I think coming in before is definitely good. We do have meet the teacher a few days before school starts.
    Kris

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just checking, but this is the BP right? I totally understand that teachers are working parents too (my mom was a teacher until she retired a few years ago, and I have many friends who are teachers). I came here to release a bit of frustration. And I'm not expecting evening hours (although every once in a while would be nice). But early in the morning or later in the afternoon would be great. Smack in the middle of the day means I lose a full day of work, whereas a 3 or 4 pm slot means I am able to work a half day. I totally know that it is only going to get worse with activities, programs, presentations, parties, etc. I felt like b!tching and I thought this was the place.

For those who asked, DD1 was required to be present although I'm not entirely sure why, especially since we have to take her back for the assessment "test."

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh, that really stinks. I'd be super annoyed too! And I get that teachers are parents too, but how exactly is a teacher supposed to register his/her own kiddos or do parent-teacher conferences if they are all during the week/school hours???

I guess I should consider myself really lucky that our new school district is very 2-working-parent friendly--kindy registration is on a Saturday, kid does not have to be present and there are no eval/testing appointments. Our current area - not so much.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Ugh, that really stinks. I'd be super annoyed too! And I get that teachers are parents too, but how exactly is a teacher supposed to register his/her own kiddos or do parent-teacher conferences if they are all during the week/school hours???
    We have to take the day off and call in a sub for the day. This is one of the main reasons my son is attending the school I teach at. We are zoned for a school that is a bit better than the one I teach at, but the connivence factor of having him attend the school I work at makes up for it.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Weird. For our kindy registration we just dropped off forms at our convenience. Our schools have evening parent teacher conferences so I usually do mine at 7. I would be miffed if they were only available during the work day. And this is a district with tons of SAHMs so it's not particularly working parent friendly.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our k registration starts at 7:30 am and goes throughout the day (a week day). Kids aren't present. It's a form drop off and it takes about 20 mins to complete the process.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4