Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Valentine adult dinner party ideas/games/help please...

We will be away for the weekend with other people (with and without children/couples - straight/gay, singles) during Valentine's day. The hostess and I are already discussing the dinner (rack of lamb, chocolate souffle) and hopefully we will be able to make it feel a bit more special than the normal meals on this weekend (tradtion) - maybe even a tablecloth

The tricky thing is that we are a smaller group this year because some of the livelier/more fun/closer friends (for us) will not be in attendance. I was wondering if anyone knew of any dinner games, etc that can add some life that I think may be needed to dinner? I love in the movie Julie & Julia how they wear those fun large red hearts (as corsages?!) at the table and would be totally up for enhancing the evening like that, etc.....

DH and I are never great about Valentine's (I'm proud of myself though since I've arranged and little family Valentine surprise of dog-sledding!!!!! Woooooooooooooooooooo) and I love the idea of having a laugh/fun with the group and am worried that some are really mellow/not interested (this is evidence from the previous years that we all separate a bit because of kids/no kids but everyone seems to like games - scrabble, catchphrase....)

Any ideas would be SO appreciated! TIA!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Celebrity. Great game. Google it. So easy and fun. Especially with wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Cards Against Humanity, perhaps? Definitely not for everyone but it sure is fun.

For the adults, maybe do a little wine tasting or have a couple of wine/cheese pairings? Doesn't have to be expensive...you could even do a blind taste and let people guess which bottle is the cheapest, which costs the most, etc. If you're worried about having some less lively guests, you might consider doing assigned seating with place cards so you can disperse your talkative guests evenly and seat people strategically. For a fun little favor/conversation starter, you could make some of those paper fortune tellers we used to do in grade school (like this one: http://images.melissaesplin.com/wp-c...e-teller-2.jpg) and put one at each place setting. That would give people something fun/silly to play with and talk about. Fortune cookies are also fun, because the fortunes give people something to talk about.

For games, you can't go wrong with Celebrity, Scrabble, etc. We like a game called Wise and Otherwise (http://www.amazon.com/WISE-AND-OTHER.../dp/B00000GBQL). It's great for groups of adults (and you can still have a conversation going while you play), but it's a bit pricey on Amazon right now.

Sounds like a fun party! Have a great time!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Not a scrabble crowd for adult valentine dinner here. Our friends are definitely more the Cards Against Humanity type. I like wine tasting or vertical flight or since it is Valentines, champagne and/or signature cocktail. We did a cocktail party last year on Valentines Day, heavy hors d'ouevres catered and full bar, assorted desserts. It was fun, lots of talking and worked despite people from law school days, work days and parents of our kids peers too. But worked great. I'm sure it will be fun and delicious too!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely Cards Against Humanity if it is the right crowd. You could also have everyone write down their best or worst Valentines Day or how they met their partner or their proposal story or something to that effect then put them all in a bowl... Everyone draws one & reads it then tries to guess who it is.

Thanks so much - these are great so far! I am a huge fan of seating but apparently most are not which is kind of a bummer when I've tried to do it before (grown men acting horrified they couldn't sit next to their wives!). But we could try! I have a feeling that for at least the hostess and myself the guys can take care of bedtime and we could set the table with the paper fortune tellers, placecards, to make it extra festive, etc. I will definitely talk to her about all these details. The games for after dinner could be anything and are usually quite fun - just wanted to do these little things to get everyone interacting during the meal. I really wish I could drink myself! Maybe I'll have half a glass of red (4.5 months in by then....).....

Keep the ideas coming! Thank you so much!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One year at a dinner with friends, we all went around the table and shared how we met our spouses. It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by misshollygolightly View Post
    For a fun little favor/conversation starter, you could make some of those paper fortune tellers we used to do in grade school (like this one: http://images.melissaesplin.com/wp-c...e-teller-2.jpg) and put one at each place setting. That would give people something fun/silly to play with and talk about. Fortune cookies are also fun, because the fortunes give people something to talk about.
    Thanks so much for this idea! I googled and found a whole site and dowloaded not only one for Valentine's day but one on 80's movie alter-egos - perfect for the bunch of movie/tv buffs (and employees) we will be with! YAY!!!

ETA: http://paperfortunetellers.com/