Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Need quick craft help - gluing felt on cotton t-shirt

So my kids have to go to school dressed as Dalmations (for the 101th day of school) next week. Not kidding.

I have some old white t-shirts and plan to affix black felt dots and do their hair in pigtails ("ears"). I have to make a trip to the fabric store to get black felt. What do I use to glue on that won't be terribly uncomfortable to my sensitive kids once dry?

Fabric glue? Hot glue gun? (I'm imagining this will make the t-shirt very uncomfortable to wear). Sewing isn't an option - I'm capable but just don't have time.

Bonus if you can name a product that I can get at Joann's Fabrics!!!

And then I have to figure out zoo animal costumes for the end of the month for a school performance. DD2 wants to be a seal. That's not going to be the easiest to come by/make. Argh. DD1's zebra will be much easier.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-01-2015 at 12:36 PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would get fabric glue. But a glue gun will also work. I don't think it would be that uncomfortable when dry, you don't need a lot. They could wear an undershirt if it bothers them.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Fabritac would work for that. They will have it at Joann's and probably Michael's. Hot glue will dry very stiff and you might need to wear something under it.

That said, why not have the kids draw dots on with sharpie or fabric paint. Easy peasy.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Fabric paint or markers. It hold up better than Sharpie, I know that one....

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Why not get sticky back felt? Sure it may cost a little more, but it would be SO worth not having to fiddle with glue or paint.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Fabric paint and a fat brush is my recommendation. It would probably be the most comfortable, too.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    So my kids have to go to school dressed as Dalmations (for the 101th day of school) next week. Not kidding.

I have some old white t-shirts and plan to affix black felt dots and do their hair in pigtails ("ears"). I have to make a trip to the fabric store to get black felt. What do I use to glue on that won't be terribly uncomfortable to my sensitive kids once dry?

Fabric glue? Hot glue gun? (I'm imagining this will make the t-shirt very uncomfortable to wear). Sewing isn't an option - I'm capable but just don't have time.

Bonus if you can name a product that I can get at Joann's Fabrics!!!

And then I have to figure out zoo animal costumes for the end of the month for a school performance. DD2 wants to be a seal. That's not going to be the easiest to come by/make. Argh. DD1's zebra will be much easier.
    Twowhat,

DS wanted to be a seal for Halloween. He ended up going as a knight instead but I did find a fairly decent (and inexpensive) option for a seal. I'll pm you the info; it looks like there are only two left in stock.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Why not get sticky back felt? Sure it may cost a little more, but it would be SO worth not having to fiddle with glue or paint.
    Yeah that. I'd definitely use the sticky back felt, especially since this costume only has to last one day.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I ended up gluing black fleece spots on a white t-shirt (it's a HA - don't kill me, but there's already dried unwashable paint on it and stuff). I found half a yard of fleece for $1.25 in the fabric remnants bin for so that sold it for me since I'll keep the leftovers for other craft projects. And I got a tube of liquid stitch (that was the only thing I could find). It worked REALLY well and was super easy. The liquid stitch holds really fast and it is pretty flexible when dry (and you use very little!).

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I ended up gluing black fleece spots on a white t-shirt (it's a HA - don't kill me, but there's already dried unwashable paint on it and stuff). I found half a yard of fleece for $1.25 in the fabric remnants bin for so that sold it for me since I'll keep the leftovers for other craft projects. And I got a tube of liquid stitch (that was the only thing I could find). It worked REALLY well and was super easy. The liquid stitch holds really fast and it is pretty flexible when dry (and you use very little!).
    As a bonus, I would save that shirt and use it during the summer when Chick-Fil-A (if you have one) has dress like a cow day to get free food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast